If you sell your rabbits, where do you advertise them?

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If I have animals that need to go to auction around here, then I have too many animals. Auctions are not where people buy quality in our area. And I agree, raising a Flemish for a year will not give you a profit at $40. I'm selling meat rabbits at about 12 weeks for $18-20 ($6/lb).

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not sure about that. I do allot of bunny grazing using my rabbit tractors. Labor for sure it costs me that much, or more. I buy a 50lb bag of pellets about once a month for 15-20 fryers, 2 does and 2 bucks.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
We have a "miscellaneous" auction at the Westminster Livestock Auction every Thursday. You can sell produce, eggs (fertile or not), chickens and other poultry, rabbits and bunnies, bottle lambs and kids, and other small farm items. I've never been there but my friend has and they publish the results of the auction online on the Carroll County newspaper Website.

If I bred rabbits and couldn't sell babies I would for certain take them there to get them off my hands.

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
sawfish99 said:
If I have animals that need to go to auction around here, then I have too many animals. Auctions are not where people buy quality in our area. And I agree, raising a Flemish for a year will not give you a profit at $40. I'm selling meat rabbits at about 12 weeks for $18-20 ($6/lb).
Yeah $15-20 is the going price here (at auction) for meat rabbits @ 12 weeks. It seems there is a big Rabbit to snake food dealer that will buy nearly anything available at that price. Supposedly based somewhere in holmes county (heart of Amish country in ohio).

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
bjjohns said:
Not sure about that. I do allot of bunny grazing using my rabbit tractors. Labor for sure it costs me that much, or more. I buy a 50lb bag of pellets about once a month for 15-20 fryers, 2 does and 2 bucks.
What breeds do you have right now?

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a cali buck (who is wonderfully heat resistant and named buthead), a Champagne De'Argent Buck (named beavis) and doe (name mama) (who are not heat resistant), and a champagne de' argent look alike that is a mutt (and is named mamacita and is fairly heat resistant). The ones in the tractor are off those four in one way or another.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Dammit I jinxed myself & my rabbit post got flagged on craigslist yesterday LOL.

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
that's*satyrical said:
Dang I jinxed myself & my rabbit post got flagged on craigslist yesterday LOL.
LOL!!

Luckily our ads have never been flagged, but this is the first year we will have ANYTHING for meat (eggs, tho it doesnt count much) but i hope when we get more involved in meating and breeding we wont get flagged :fl

bunnylovincowgirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The best way I've found to get serious buyers is not to bother with classifieds but just get a website and list it on rabbit breeders directories like Rabbitbreeders.us, the nature trail, and Best Rabbit Sites. I've worked on websites for a number of breeders and most of their traffic comes from those type of links, with search engines being a secondary source.