Information on raising does; pet not for breeding.

The goat life

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Update: 07/17/2024
Momma is feeding sis finally without any issues. She is getting stronger by the day. So finger’s crossed she keeps improving. And brother is still her right hand man!

I have always got wethers as the goat of choice. We always were open; however it seemed the doelings were very vocal. I have neighbors that complain that the birds drop the apples from my trees in their yards. So you could only imagine what they would do with a screaming goat. (Yes I live within a city, but 3 acres)

We had our matriarch goat pass in December from lymphoma and we are now getting ready to get another. This past Sunday the new boy was born and his brother was stillborn and his sister was at first lifeless. She was saved, however very premature. She has improved leaps and bounds but not out of the woods yet. Her mother is still on the fence of mothering her. One minute lets her feed, next pushing her away and not letting her hang with her brother. Sis is so small.

So are females more vocal or just me? (I don’t need them ratting out all the other goats)lol

Other than her uphill climb at this point; Is there a different care regimen from males to females? (Not going to breed her)

I have a hard time splitting up siblings however I don’t want to get in trouble with the whole herd. My current boys just talk to each other and we rarely hear a peep out of them unless they see us and want attention, which I’m fine with; I wouldn’t expect any different.

Brother (tan) loves his sister no matter what momma does to her. He is protective of sis and their momma will actually hoof him while he is trying to protect his sis from mom.

Attachments

• IMG_4242.jpeg
    IMG_4242.jpeg
    534.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does are generally more vocal during estrus. Nubians notoriously so, it seems. But yours appear to most likely be NDs... Ones I had were quiet.

My Boer & Saanen are quiet...except when their youngins get off from them, at the nursing stage. Then both mom & kid hollar for each other.😁😉

I'm thinking you'll be fine...with all boys wethered.

The goat life

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Does are generally more vocal during estrus. Nubians notoriously so, it seems. But yours appear to most likely be NDs... Ones I had were quiet.

My Boer & Saanen are quiet...except when their youngins get off from them, at the nursing stage. Then both mom & kid hollar for each other.😁😉

I'm thinking you'll be fine...with all boys wethered.
Yes they are ND’s.

I hope so; I just can’t separate them, but also don’t want the city breathing down my neck and putting all the others in jeopardy. Our breeder has stated that if it does become an issue we can return but I can’t do that either once in my possession lol. I will sound proof stuff before that happens lol

Thank you!