Interesting conversation with vet...

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Some of you guys get onto me sometimes for doing stuff without running batteries of tests first, just because doing x,y, or z seems right in my head... I thought y'all might enjoy this..

I called my vet's office yesterday looking for a few vials of this and that, and I also mentioned that I needed to speak with someone about whether to A) refill a scrip to continue one of my dogs on levothyroxine that's not helping or B) try to figure something else out for her.

My primary goat vet actually called me back at 6:41pm. I didn't expect that -- actually expected a call from one of the techs the next day -- but maybe that's what happens when you put $300 into a $40 buck and $1,600 into knee surgery for an LGD you got free, etc. :lol: :hit

Anyhoo..

I talked about what was going on with the dog and why I was reluctant to keep trying the levothyroxine, and he more or less agreed.. Said we should probably run some more tests to see if there's something else going on..

Then he said the most intriguing thing..... He said it's entirely possible that we may not get anything of "diagnostic value" from tests, and that we may have to go off our "clinical impressions" and start some "trial therapy."

In other words...look at her, theorize what may be wrong, then just try some stuff to see what works.

So, with that in mind, I've decided I'm going to alter my language on this forum.. From now on, instead of saying "Sounds like ________, so I'd probably try some _____ and see what happens," I'm going to "suggest a course of trial therapy with _____, based off the clinical impression that it could be _____________."

Sounds much better, right?!?!

:D :lol: :gig

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just keep on doing what your doing, you seem to be getting it right :thumbsup

Dont change the jargon, nobody will understand anymore :gig

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
warthog said:
Just keep on doing what your doing, you seem to be getting it right :thumbsup
Sometimes...but I've dug my share of holes, too. :/

Dont change the jargon, nobody will understand anymore :gig
You say that as if anybody understands now. :lol:

Do you know how many posts I've seen here that start with "What CM's trying to say is......"

:lol:

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
But if they start with "what CM is trying to say", then they have understood them and are just clarifying in case of any doubt. :lol:

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
warthog said:
But if they start with "what CM is trying to say", then they have understood them and are just clarifying in case of any doubt. :lol:
Nope, it just means we have collected enough data that we have developed a CM cipher.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
Some of you guys get onto me sometimes for doing stuff without running batteries of tests first, just because doing x,y, or z seems right in my head... I thought y'all might enjoy this..

In other words...look at her, theorize what may be wrong, then just try some stuff to see what works.

So, with that in mind, I've decided I'm going to alter my language on this forum.. From now on, instead of saying "Sounds like ________, so I'd probably try some _____ and see what happens," I'm going to "suggest a course of trial therapy with _____, based off the clinical impression that it could be _____________."

Sounds much better, right?!?!

:D :lol: :gig
Dont change a thing!! You'll confuse us even more!!!!! :lol: :gig

:yuckyuck

Whats wrong with your pooch??? Thyroid issues???

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

Yeah, like "CM's often long winded and goes off on tangents about things which -- at best -- have a tenuous relationship to the situation at hand. So when he started prattling on about being unable to use FAMACHA to distinguish between a goat which has launched a successful TH1/cellular immune response to internal parasite infestation and goat which simply has a high level of hemopoeitic resilience just a second ago, what he meant to say was if its eyelids are pale, you should probably deworm."

:p :lol:

FWIW, you guys would be SHOCKED if you knew how often I write a bunch of loosely-related stuff only to go back and delete a bunch of it before submitting, just for some semblance of brevity.

:hide

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:

if its eyelids are pale, you should probably deworm."

:p :lol:
EXACTLY!!!! :lol::gig:lol: That is soooo funny!!! Thanks for editing for us simpletons, cuz if you did'nt Im sure it would be like reading Mercks Vet Manual!! :barnie

I read that and most times Im like :hit what did that just mean???? :rant Cant they just speak english!! :lol:

Hope your pooch is okay! Good luck with that!!

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
FWIW, you guys would be SHOCKED if you knew how often I write a bunch of loosely-related stuff only to go back and delete a bunch of it before submitting, just for some semblance of brevity.
Is it really bad that I'm not shocked? For some odd reason I can see "an ignorant redneck hillbilly" sitting there at his desk, head buried down, eyebrows crinkled, punching the keys, moving the mouse around and clicking away.....trying to simplify his responses as much as possible....

Then sitting back in his chair, look at the screen and say "Yeah - Yeah that sounds good".

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
warthog said:
Nope, it just means we have collected enough data that we have developed a CM cipher.
Ah shame on you, the guy does is best, just likes to pratle on a bit :hide :lol: