Interesting conversation with vet...

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Oh, yeah, up your own Omega III use. I'd do double. Consider the average adult serving to be for an adult of 150 lbs.
I'll do that, and I'll probably put Ivan on 3/day, and Mischa on 2/day.

As for the dogs, I'd only replace the fish oil with the PH OPC's if the dogs are grain-free and get another source, which is difficult for most people to do. You can most likely reduce it by adding the OPCs, though. You may be able to reduce any meds they are on (rimadyl?) or at the very least, make these meds more effective.
He's not on anything...yet. He's only 2-1/2 years old, though. If he manages not to bloat and die young like his daddy and grandaddy ( :fl ), he *might* make 8 years -- but that's about the most he'll get.

My guess is he'll need a daily NSAID by 5, at the very latest. :(

For some very interesting studies on what OPC's can do, check out http://www.pycnogenol.com/health/health_research_library.php Look at the pdf on the research studies ("Download full bibliography"). This is the company that makes the pine bark extract. They are based in Sweden and are not under the FDA's rules that don't allow a company to directly link a health concern with a treatment with a supplement, so the connection is clearly made on the site. It is very technical, you will love it.
Me? Interested in studies? Why would you think I'd wanna do THAT?

:lol:

(...yes...I'll do that...thanks!...:thumbsup )

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Remember, there is no such thing as a "one trick pony." Both you and your pooch would do better with a variety of natural anti-inflammatory supplements than lots of one....I'd reduce the fish oil to add smaller amounts of the antioxidants. With all of that, you may be able to give less of the PH OPCs&G (the name is too darn long!) and get a more complete defense.

Read the studies. :p

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Hey, maybe I should use pelleted goat wormer, as it is cheaper than the good stuff! :D

:gig

Sorry, couldn't resist. :plbb