Introducing a doeling to my existing herd

BellaM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi everyone 🪷

I have two "herds" of two does each (Saanen and Nigerian Dwarf). The one ND has two x 2 month old doelings.

I've retired one of my Nigerian Dwarf does and need to replace her.

Quality, good milking ND goats are hard to come by (and very expensive), so my name is down with the best breeder for a weaned doeling when one becomes available.

My question is, how do I go about integrating her into the herd?

I'm considering putting the two babies and her together if they're of an age?

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry, moving in right now.
Personally I would make sure everyone has lots of spread out feeding places in an overly large pen like a pasture or just as big as you can manage and get everyone as happy and as satisfied as you can and then one morning just try. If everyone has a full stomach and is ready to chew cud hopefully the fighting will be minimal. I'd recommend maintaining spread out eating places for a few days and that should be that.
Just make sure those crafty little bundles of trouble that we call ND can't fit through the fences and leave because they will.
I don't think merging babies will help unless you need to feed someone up to size. If there are moms involved when recombined they will disregard the kids' alliances and just pound on the new ones. You could keep the babies in their own herd alone for a while, I guess.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with above. Watch for the "fighting" and separate if intense. It's difficult for them to work into the hierarchy sometimes. A lot depends on your current does attitudes. Several feed tubs, even an extra, so they can mill around because just like grass is always better on the other side -- there MUST BE better in the next feed tub! :lol: be prepared to intro on a fence line or stall if need be.

Just try and be ready for separation if needed. Truly, until it happens, you just don't know. In a barn or shelter, watch that they have an escape area. Bed down time is very much "family groups". So, careful there. Seems you have 4 now, so should be doable. Not like worrying about 40, like here. 🤣

Hopefully your does will be gentle. 🥰

BellaM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Gee, I liked your post, and then scrolled down to see what good advice you received, and I was surprised to see that there were no other posts!

@Mini Horses , @rachels.haven I know you guys add goats to your herds sometimes. Do you do anything special other than just put the new one in?
Thank you 😊

BellaM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Agree with above. Watch for the "fighting" and separate if intense. It's difficult for them to work into the hierarchy sometimes. A lot depends on your current does attitudes. Several feed tubs, even an extra, so they can mill around because just like grass is always better on the other side -- there MUST BE better in the next feed tub! :lol: be prepared to intro on a fence line or stall if need be.

Just try and be ready for separation if needed. Truly, until it happens, you just don't know. In a barn or shelter, watch that they have an escape area. Bed down time is very much "family groups". So, careful there. Seems you have 4 now, so should be doable. Not like worrying about 40, like here. 🤣

Hopefully your does will be gentle. 🥰
Oooo 40?! 😮 ... That must be a handful! 😅
Thanks for the advice ... 🤞🤞🤞