Is a Nigerian Dwarf Goat a good first goat?

MiniFarmGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have never had goats before and was wondering if Nigerian Dwarfs were a good first goat. I'm looking for a smaller goat that is active. I would keep them in a large dog run with shelter. I have a horse, dogs, cats, and chickens so it isn't going to be a first animal. Also, what is the best quality goat feed? Thanks.

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've never had a dwarf goat, but i sure love my la manchas and have sold almost everything else. they're very sweet goats, quiet and sensible and easy to handle.

HankTheTank

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
that's*satyrical said:
YES!! They are awesome. That is all. :)
x10
they are amazing!! As for the feed, it really depends on what you are doing with your goats, ie; dairy, pets, etc. They are really great goats. They have awesome personalities and are very entertaining to watch :D

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Three weeks ago today I purchased my first 2 goats ever. They are the best little girls and I am glad I got them but make sure you know who you are getting them from. I purchased mine from a breeder but she said she can't remember when the one got in the males pen so now I have to wait and rely on the expertise of the people on here to guide me through this. The other was still nursing when I took her but I didn't know that till days later so didn't milk her and she dried up. I bought them for the milk. Beware of the breeders. I don't care if I ever have a registered goat since I am not using them for show. Mostly milk and a pet. There are some very nice people on here who can tell you what to look for and questions to ask. DO that and you should be alright. Getting the girls has given me something else to do every day. They are so sweet and want love and attention. You will be glad you got them. I wanted to make sure I could handle ND before I went to something bigger maybe. Get two or more, you will LOVE them. Deb

MiniFarmGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
they are amazing!! As for the feed, it really depends on what you are doing with your goats, ie; dairy, pets, etc. They are really great goats. They have awesome personalities and are very entertaining to watch :D
I'm going to get them as pets/dairy goats. I've watched a few videos of them and LOVE their personality. I laugh every time I watch them.

MiniFarmGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I live in Utah so I'm looking at breeders in Utah. I might get them from a lady in Eden, Utah. Her website is simplyeden.com. She makes soaps, lip balms, etc. from her Nigerians' milk. She has a live web cam up so people can see her goats. I'm thinking about getting her tri colored doeling. I really like one of her tri wethers but he is going to someone else. I'm also looking at some other breeders in Utah. If you know of any good breeders in Utah please let me know! Thanks! :)

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
HankTheTank said:
that's*satyrical said:
YES!! They are awesome. That is all. :)
x10
x a gajillion :D

EggsForIHOP

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh yes, they are WONDERFUL little goats! I miss our teeny goats now that we have the big ones - each breed has something fun and unique about it (which I guess is stereotyping isn't it in a way :p ) but the little goats are just cute forever and quirky and fun! You're gonna love 'em...but be sure you get 2 so you don't have a lonely goat :)