Is it possible to have only boys from the same buck?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
BrownSheep said:
Queen Mum said:
Other factors influence the production of boys and girls as well. Nutrition, acidity conditions in the womb, lots of things. You can't say for sure that it's just the buck. Personally, I think it's a crap shoot.
Ha ha . I'm almost certain the gender is dependent on how bad you want to keep it. Absolutely AWESOME babies will be boys and the ok but not as pretty will be girls.
Or you really need one gender and you'll be guaranteed to get the other :lol:

gingit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I guess we have to keep our wonderful, friendly, beautiful buck and...see what next year brings us.
My hubby was out of town when most of them were born and on the phone he asked me to check again and again, saying: are you sure?
Yes, I am. After having mostly boys in our family I know what it looks like.

BTW all babies are cute, healthy and active. Mothers take good care of them and we have tons of visitors with young kids on weekends.
This forum is a life saver. I never touched a goat in my life before I got them, last year. I read every message any one wrote here and learned a lot.

Ariel72

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've heard putting apple cider vinegar in a does water will increase the instance of females since it increases the acidity of the womb. It seems if it were that easy, everyone would be pouring ACV all over the place...but I'm going to try it next year! It helps keep the water clean...so if they like it, why not?:p

boothcreek

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When we first started breeding horses back in germany, the vet explained to us that most stallions have equal amounts of healthy sperm to create both genders and will throw both males and females, but some studs the sperm carrying the chromosome for one gender are weaker or deformed and most of the time don't make it to the egg in time so that particular sire is known to throw one gender. For example our Stud has only 1 colt to his name and 20+ fillies in his 12 yrs of breeding.

We were told that holds true with most mammals, since its the male that passes the deciding chromosome. So in families that is dominated by mainly 1 gender along the father line, its HIS fault :lol:

I am sure same thing can happen with goats.