Is my pygmy having issues????

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a 2 year old pygmy getting ready to kid for the first time! She has been restless, huge, making a nest, elevating her front end and stretching for over a week! She started dripping mucus 2.5 days ago and then it stopped. She has been yawning a lot. Her bag is huge and very full. Her due date range started the 4th. She breathes very loud when she is laying down like she is having a hard time breathing and I chalked it up to how big she is! She is still very swollen in her back-side! Shouldn't she have started actual labor given that she has been doing all this for over a week now??? Her temp is border-line at 102.4! Should I be waitig a little longer or should I be checking her for malpositioning at this point??

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Do not check her unless she is in active labor (pushing) and has been pushing for awhile.

She is probably just uncomfortable and trying to get comfortable. If she is eating and drinking, I wouldn't worry unless she goes beyond her due date by more than a week. Then, I'd call a vet. The only thing that has me wondering is her udder...do you have any pics? Is there milk present?

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She is eating! There is very thick milk in her udder! Due date is somewhat questioable! The guy I got them from said they were bred feb 9 and 10! We have since found out the guy lies! The girl bred on the 9th gave birth on June 26 a full 2 weeks early but the baby was definitely not preemie! She was running and jumping less then 24 hours after birth! Because of that I am now questioning when this girl was actually done! If he was a week off on Lizzies breeding date then he could be a week off on Libertys too! Which would make her late! I'm pretty upset to say the least about the lies because it makes it very hard to know if she is ok or not based on date!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Hang in there. The stretching, mucus loss, and such all sound normal in my opinion. Does often stretch as they get ready for the big day and some say it has to do with the kid(s) getting into proper position for delivery. Does can also lose part of the mucus plug weeks before delivery and I have heard of some does producing milk and bagging up prior to kidding.

If the breeder "breeds" by letting a buck in with his does, he may have introduced the buck on the 9th, but that is not necessarily when the deal was sealed. When we leased a buck, our does stayed in with him for about 1.5 months to make sure we hit one or two heat cycles so it was not a precise date. We now have much more precise date because we got our own buck and only had him in with the girls during the few days they were in heat. So, you are right on with that date probably being not completely in target.

Do you know how to check ligaments? It is a great way to tell if your doe is in labor or about to be.

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ligaments are gone as of 3pm today! The "breeder" and I use the term loosely, actually stated that he put each one with the buck, watched him breed her 5 times and then put her back in her own pen! If that was true then he would not have been 2 weeks off with the other does due date!

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This waiting game is aweful!!!!! Near as I can tell her ligs are what I would call gone! Have to dig so deep she gets grouchy and then I can still barely feel where they should be!!!! Been like this for 9+ hours now!!!!! I can't see how her giant self can go another minute! She and her udder both look ready to explode!

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everybody! She delivered a healthy baby boy at 9:45 this morning!