Is there anyone who uses their horses for farming?

houndit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wondered if any of you used your horses for farming, like harrowing, mowing hay etc. Hope to hear from you soon!

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
not me but it would be cool to do.

my horses are for riding and enjoyment only at this point and probably will be. time is my problem. We use tractors for all that.

time is my worst enemy along with the rat race life and bills to go along with it right now.

would I try it, yes, I have researched it.....my hubbys grandpa only used a horse team....my Dad's family used a horse team....and he hated those horses..LOL

will be interesting to see who does it definitely.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are considering adding driving to Mylie's training regime when my trainer gets here. She's a bulky girl, and would look lovely with a small sleigh. Some days we can't get the truck out of the driveway, but we'd easily be able to get a horse and sleigh out.

houndit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I do a little bit, and wanted to see if anyone else did. Maybe we can share ideas and tips on how to do it for people who want to start and for people having trouble.

nightshade

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I really wanted to but my pulling horse passed away, so the idea has kinda of been put on hold. I would love to use a horse to access the firewood we have laying where there is no way you can get a truck or tractor to it. I tried to by a small heffy last summer that was used to plow an older couples garden every year, he was also broke to ride. Thought he would have been a perfect addition to our farm but his price was were more then I could afford at the time. It was such a shame he was so very sweet too.

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I do use my horse to get to places that are difficult to get to on foot. I've used him to help my neighbor find his property line during a flood. Big Joe (my big brown horse) crashes through anything like King Kong. He is massive enough to pull logs around using the saddle horn and a rope. He's ALL BOY as my mom likes to say. His best quality, he does not spook!

Most of the time though, you'll find me riding him bareback with a halter for a bridle. :p

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I do use my horse to get to places that are difficult to get to on foot. I've used him to help my neighbor find his property line during a flood. Big Joe (my big brown horse) crashes through anything like King Kong. He is massive enough to pull logs around using the saddle horn and a rope. He's ALL BOY as my mom likes to say. His best quality, he does not spook!

Most of the time though, you'll find me riding him bareback with a halter for a bridle. :p
What breed is he? We have QH and he is NOT comfortable to ride bareback, but the paint/perch is perfect. Our paint/perch is young yet, but we plan on teaching him to pull a cart. he's solid, sure footed and for only being three, he does not spook either. I would like to use him for farm work. Only time will tell whether it will be a reality or not.

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
LOL He is whatever breed crack heads breed. He had a pretty sad upbringing. He is put together all wrong, bad conformation, toed-out, club footed; you name it. Poor thing was beaten and starved to death by the time I intervened. Pathetic lookin. Skin and bones with a gigantic head. He was wormey and thick with fur in the heat of the TX summer.

Long story short:
Fixed him up and he grew as big as a house, now his head fits his body. He has a heart of gold and will try to get into your front pocket if you let him.

I have a feeling he is some sort of gaited breed mixed with a large qt horse. You could cut a diamond while he trots...smooth! When other horses are in a full canter he keeps up in that crazy smooth as glass trot.

I gave that crack head $200 cash for him. Been the best horse I've ever had. (That is why he is always my screen name. :))

Oh the bareback thing, wait until they are fully grown to begin riding bareback, or you might end up with a sway backed horse. I use a Parelli bareback pad when I want to keep my jeans cleaner. Big Joe filled out into a nice fat backed horse so he is like riding a lazy boy when I ride him bareback. :p

ETA: typos!! :rolleyes:

Bronco Hollow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We used them for pulling logs or brush from areas when we can not get a vehicle or ATV in.