It's a Boy!!!

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I came home from work about an hour ago to find Sheila next to the back fence of the paddock mooing away and a calf standing next to her! I had to wait for DH to come home to help me weigh and get the navel dipped, as she is pretty protective and talking a LOT. Baby weighs 80 lbs, appears to be red. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get photos. Right now I'm a little concerned as to whether he's suckled and he seems pretty interested in Bridgit, too. I have no idea how old he is...he wasn't completely dry and felt a little soapy, and Sheila was eating her placenta when we went in there.

Still, though, how terribly exciting! Our first baby, delivered without us even needing to be there! And I'm a little relieved she did go first after all, as hopefully now Bridgit might have a better idea of what will happen to her when she has her first baby in the next couple of weeks!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:clap
Congratulations.gif
:weee :celebrate
He sounds pretty new. I'm glad everything went well. Congratulations!

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks! No names yet...he'll probably be a steer. Any suggestions??

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We just went out and looked again (also got my eggs and checked on the chickens as the paddock is my only coop access, AND fed the girls some hay which both are eating). The calf is laying down, his head and front end appear to both still be damp, and it's 41 degrees out and clear. It'll probably freeze.

Sheila is not letting us near him (big surprise). We have a gated stall with plywood walls on two sides, partially open in front, and open to another semi-indoor stall on the other side. Should we put some hay down and try to move them in there? Are they ok outside, especially the calf? He has been lying down now for an hour, no sign still of nursing, and Sheila was licking him pretty hard, hard enough to almost roll him over. (We were afraid he was dead when we went out he was lying so still at first, chin on the ground.)

Advice, please!!

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks, thewife, and your DH, for the phone conversation/reassurance! I was able to eat my dinner, and just finally went out with the flashlight to the gate to peek, and he's up and nursing, his little baby tail just wagging! Yay!

pokacow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Congratulations! I bet he is just too cute. Yes, pics tomorrow! Isn't it cute how the tails wag? Goats do too. J

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!!! So glad to hear about the new one. Can't wait to see the pic's!!!!!If sara-lu and reba get there, hope it will go as smooth us yours did!!!!!Have lots of fun with your newie!!!!:ya

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Yes!
I love the sight of a wagging tail!

Now if Bridget and my Shorty heifer will get a clue, so we can quit worrying about them!

Not to add to your worries, that calf I had that did not know how to eat, would wag her tail the whole time she "thought" she was nursing!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
congrats on the new bull calf finally getting here.she will take good care of her calf.