Ivermectin?

ThePigeonKid

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Can I give Ivermectin to my buck? And if so how much to give he is 50lb to 80lb?

Thanks! :)

ThePigeonKid

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I heard it will treat meningeal worm is that true?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Ivomec is a preventative for Meningeal Worm. It is not a treatment. You need Safeguard for treatment. You should give a shot of Ivomec to catch any worms that are still in the stomach but once they pass the blood brain barrier, then the Safeguard is what is used. you dose Safeguard at 1cc per 7 lbs for 5 days for m worm treatment. You would also give an injection of Ivomec at 1cc per 70 lbs.

If you are giving Ivomec for other parasites, then it is dosed at 1cc per 20 lbs orally. But you need to know the weight. If you underdose, then you are just going to build up resistance. 50-80 pounds is a huge difference when it comes to wormers.

ThePigeonKid

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Ivomec is a preventative for Meningeal Worm. It is not a treatment. You need Safeguard for treatment. You should give a shot of Ivomec to catch any worms that are still in the stomach but once they pass the blood brain barrier, then the Safeguard is what is used. you dose Safeguard at 1cc per 7 lbs for 5 days for m worm treatment. You would also give an injection of Ivomec at 1cc per 70 lbs.

If you are giving Ivomec for other parasites, then it is dosed at 1cc per 20 lbs orally. But you need to know the weight. If you underdose, then you are just going to build up resistance. 50-80 pounds is a huge difference when it comes to wormers.
Thanks! I have Safe-Guard goat dewormer. I'll have to weigh him before deciding dosage, that was just a guess.

ThePigeonKid

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
He is 60 lbs. so am I correct with my figures that it would be 8 and 1/2 cc?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Yes, 8.5 cc Safeguard. Do it for 5 days in a row. I take it you suspect meningeal worm? I would also give him 1cc Ivomec injected (must be injected for m worm).

ThePigeonKid

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Yes, 8.5 cc Safeguard. Do it for 5 days in a row. I take it you suspect meningeal worm? I would also give him 1cc Ivomec injected (must be injected for m worm).
Is the "1cc Ivomec injected" one treatment only? And when do I give it, before/during/after Safeguard treatment?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You can use the plus or just use the regular injectible Ivomec. I would do 1 now and 1 in 2 weeks. You can give the Ivomec while doing Safeguard.