John Deere Tractor HELP!!

DoubleTake

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok.. I don't know where to post this as it is my first post:)....So we are looking into getting two cows this year Yay!! :D .. a jersey and an angus.. but with the cows my husband wants a tractor! We are looking and thinking of purchasing an older model made in Germany... It is a 1966-1967 model 710 .. We are driving out to see it tomorrow! The owner says it has some minor transmission problems but works fine.. I called around and talked to a John Deere rep and he said that you can not purchase any tranny stuff in the united states for that paticular model?? Does anyone know if this is true or not?? Are we looking at a lemon that can never be fixed or...??

HELP! Thanks in advance!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My son-in-law is a diesel mechanic for a large JD store in MN. He says this is true. Just bite the bullet and buy a new one. You'll get a warranty, and it'll be a lot better than a '60's model.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yep, when we looked at JD tractors 10 years ago, we compared all the different brands. JD really holds it's value.

10 years later it still "runs like a deer".

The only thing my DH wishes is that he''d got a little bit bigger one. His is a 36 HP with the front end loader. He uses it for everything.

DonnaBelle

DoubleTake

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks, DonnaBelle..
You are right I think that the JD is the way to go! I just don't know if we can afford a brand new one! Not that it would be twisting my husbands arm to get a new one!!:lol: Thanks for the input on the hp! Certainly want one to pull all those implements!!:p

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When we bought ours, I wanted to just pay for it, but in order to get insurance on it, we had to finance it.

So, that's what we did, and it's a good thing, because it was about 2 years old and DH was working on it and a chain broke and dropped something else on it he was working on, and did $2,000.00 worth of damage to the hood of it. YIKES>

Anyway it was about $22,000 new, and we financed part of it for very low interest and had the insurance on it HOORAY!!

Good luck, and enjoy your cows.

DonnaBelle

BetterHensandGardens

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Another option would be to buy a used one that parts are available for in the US. We went to auctions and researched prices, then bid on a few used models until we ultimately got our John Deere. We bought a 1982 with only 350 hours on it in 2003, for much less than a new one would have cost, and it has been a true John Deere. No problems, always runs, and we are so glad we got it - it's been a backsaver time and time again. :)

john in wa

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
you can get parts for most any brand tractor. there is a really good site you can go to called Yesterdaystractors.com and trust me you will be able to find any part you need with the help of those great tractor guys.

clebouef

Just born
Reaction score
have had JD tractor all my life and was always pleased with them very good machine. But before you plunk down that jd GREEN money look into mahindra just bought a new one last year at a savings of about 3500 over jd of same size equipment etc.

DoubleTake

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks clebouef! I will be looking into the Mahindra!