Just a vent of sorts.

lastfling

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've hunted and eaten a lot of wild rabbits, both cottontail and swamp (bluetail) and have yet to find one I would consider dark, greasy, or slimy. I would tend to think it's more a result of the cook and / or preparation than the rabbit. ;).

Okie Amazon

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Duck is generally pretty dry AND yet greasy (hard to figure that, but it's true) - I don't much care for it, myself. But rabbit, wild or domestic, is YUMMY! If it gets greasy, it's because of something you poured on it; not much fat to rabbit at all.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm a crusty old woman who has killed many, many poultry and waterfowl, killed my own calf, killed animals that needed put out of misery and have even killed nuisance dogs with quick and matter of fact, let's get this job done because it needs to be done steeliness......

....having said all that, I can honestly tell you that killing my meat rabbits was the hardest thing I've ever killed and I wasn't even attached to them. There is something about the clean, white softness that is these rabbits, not to mention the stuffed animal, Easter bunny left overs from childhood.....I cried like a baby the first ones I had to butcher and I let my sister do it from there on out.

I'm a wimpy doodle when it comes to killing tame rabbits...wild ones are easy and from a distance.

doubled

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
bunnylovincowgirl said:
Legacy said:
Okie Amazon said:
Hmmm... No disrespect to your "ole mans'" mother (or whoever did the cooking when he was growing up) but you have to mess up pretty bad to make rabbit greasy!
I bet he was confusing rabbit with duck. Duck is very greasy.
I've never eaten rabbit -- or duck -- but I've heard people say that wild rabbit is greasy/slimy/dark, very unlike the white meat of domestic rabbits. But I don't know...
Rabbit is Rabbit, only thing is tame vs. wild has 2 different tastes because of what it eats. Alot of people have had it once or twice cooked wrong and now they always say it's stringy, wild tasteing, greasy. Most ruin the meat by over cooking it, there is no inter-tissue fat (marbeling) like in beef or pork so it's easy to overcook. A 10-12 week old tame fryer is hard to beat cooked any way you desire. :old :thumbsup