Katahdin ewes

RoseTeas

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
At 65, new phase of life. Caregiver of others in NC. Moved to MS, mom dementia. Worn out. Now caregiver of self in MS. Balancing capabilities today, mindful of 5 yrs from now. Lady farm...1 dog, 2 cats, flipping trailer to quality tiny house, chickens with focus on bringing out old survival traits in them, feel katahdin sheep would be easier to handle. Meat and regenerate this soil. Breeding? My mindset is more NC regenerate. Mindset, desire and body are at war!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hear ya!! Mom here, big A for 5 yr. Hard, different life. 🫂 You can do this, just go slow. Chickens, sheep, a small garden. Rebuild yourself, relax, enjoy and yes, physical work for you & self care. You must stay active! Katahdin are a good choice, esp a friendly, pregnant doe. A friend & provider.

Here, it's goats. Dairy & meat. Chickens. A garden.
Milk, cheese, meat & veggies 🤣 Part time work that I schedule. Gives me an off farm outlet & socialization with people with whom I can interact but, walk from without connection. And store mgrs for a more constant social contact👍

You'll find yourself again. Go slow. It's a process.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Still learning all this as well - 4 yrs in to actually having the sheep at my ranch. Previously they were at a friend's and were used for training dogs.
I started with 4 older ewes (no idea the age) and 2 wethers, added 4 ewes/wethers when my training partner quit, then added 4 young ewes (Dorpers). One of the new ones had twins - ram and ewe. AddedThe ram is still here. I'll need to switch him out sometime sooner. Over time I've sent a bunch to auction -- too flighty, too old, etc.
I'm up to 1 ram, 1 ram pal - wether, and 15 ewes and older lambs. Deciding who will go to auction out of the older lambs and possibly an old ewe. I've gotten to the point of looking at the lambs and saying "cute, sweet, but too small" keeping the best is what needs to happen. AND - yup have one in the freezer from last year, and am getting orders for freezer lambs. I've shifted from training to raising for meat.
It's an evolution of sorts -- LOL everyone here is probably thinking - "yup - we knew that". :) :)

Last edited: