Keeping Bunny's Cool

twg.jenn

Just born
Reaction score
I'm finally getting my first group of buns this weekend! I had read different ideas to keep outside rabbits cool and I had decided on putting frozen 2li water bottles in there; however, the gentleman I am getting my rabbits from said to never let them play with plastic bottles.

I do not want to harm my fluffy ones, but I don't want them to overheat either. Will the rabbits be able to chew on a plastic bottle if it's full of water/ice? What other ideas is there to keep them cool?

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Most people I know seem to use plastic 2 litter bottles frozen. I have in the past and have not had any problems. The biggest problem I had was having enough frozen bottles. Your location will help. Rabbits can perish very very quickly in the heat. Some people will use frozen tiles they get at home depot, misting systems and fans. My rabbits used to be outside on a tree line and lots of shade. Now I have a rabbit barn with a small a/c I turn on when its really bad.
Good luck and let us know where you are located?

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Last summer before I got an air conditioner in my rabbitry I used frozen water bottles. Rabbits tore them all up. I would use the tiles if I needed to get by without ac.

Beachbunny

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have used frozen 2lt bottles for 4 years and never had a problem with them. The rabbits lay all over them and even play with them. I did have to buy a small chest freezer to keep enough frozen to rotate but I needed one anyways. Just inspect them for leaks and wash them every time you pull them out of the cage to refreeze them. lol one of my bucks likes to roll his from one end of the cage to the other.

UnlabeledMama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have been using frozen bottles this year and none of my buns have tried chewing on them. They just lay next to them.

Also, I like using the flat juice bottles instead of the soda bottles. Easier for them to stay in one place!

twg.jenn

Just born
Reaction score
Citylife- Not 100% sure if you ment my location or my rabbits location. I live in Mid Northern TN. I am keeping them outside under a building awning.

We got our rabbits this weekend and I have been using the frozen water bottles so far no one has attempted to chew on them. If an issue does arise I'll use a misting system or another idea )

Thank you for all the suggestions! I apologize it took so long to comment back.

BethC

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I use frozen tiles. I have 2 for each bunny, so I put one in the freezer, the other in with the bun while the other is getting frozen, then I switch them out a few times a day. When it's really hot, more often than that if unbearably hot. I tried the frozen bottles, but mine would never lay up against them. but as soon as I put a tile in they scratch at it for a min, then lay right on top of it.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What kind of tiles do you use? I was told outdoor tiles at one time, but when I checked Lowe's for their outdoor tiles, all they had were these very large brick type tiles that would have been way too large and heavy for the cages. Do you use the indoor tiles? What size?

I use the frozen water bottles. If the tiles are the indoor tiles they would definitely be a lot easier using than lugging out all those 2 liter bottles. I also cut up old denim jeans, wet them down and put those in with the buns. That helps also.