Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have never had a rattlesnake anywhere on our southern California property or the entire ridge line on the north side of Sunland Boulevard. The story goes that half a mile away was a huge poultry farm about 60 years ago. The owner was terrifed of rattlers so he bought 100 King snakes and released them. On the south side of Sunland Boulevard Rattlesnakes are everywhere and in the wash they are common but in our neighborhood we have never seen one! We have seen King snakes, Gopher snakes, and a huge black snake. I don't like raleasing species int the wild from human breeding, but may look into buying some King Snakes to release on the Texas Ranch if we have a big problem.

fuzzi

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've removed 2 rat snakes this yr, same day. About 7 footers. They aren't venomous but do have attitude issues! 😠. Dislike them a lot! No grabber but, a can of wasp spray & machete did the job. 👍👍
I don't kill them, they eat rats and mice and other snakes.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
And eggs!!! 🤬 they're not welcome.

Don't go in the hen house!! Only other snake I've ever seen here is a king snake....he lived 😁

Might eat mice if I didn't have a dozen cats who do :lol:
And very small chickens ... Have had both black snakes and rat snakes kill and eat the very small sized bantams that my son raises.... and will get chicks too. I have nothing against them as long as they are NOT in close proximity to the poultry....

Latest posts