LGD / Livestock Guardian Dog Breed Page Project (Need Pictures too)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Please do not breed her to a herding dog. And what is a “sheepdog” father? Sounds like a herding dog. Crossing a livestock GUARD dog with other types of working dogs results in confused pups that don’t know whether to guard the livestock or chase them.
It would be best to not breed her at all and to have her spayed. Crossbred mutts wind up in shelters, euthanized. Crossbred pups and I mean LGDs crossed with non LGDs are sold to people who don’t know any better and are disappointed with their dog’s performance. She will probably make a good farm dog but sounds like she is not interested in guarding livestock. Why produce more of the same?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ll second that. Even if she was purebred breeding at 1 1/2 is too young. Minimum age would be 2-3 yrs, esp for a bitch.
As for cross-bred you’re mixing (and have a mix) of two very different types of working dogs. Not a good mix at all. One LGD to another LGD type ok. But herding to LGD never a good mix.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't mind, I'm thinking a half dozen pups hanging from her teats will slow her down some. Might mature her too.
The pups might even have a brain to work with. Cross my fingers and knock on wood.
I was loving your post until I got to this point!

Then I read on and saw that the other members have pointed out to you how that particular mix between an LGD and a herding breed is a recipe for disaster. Large strong aggressive dog that has a strong instinct to chase it’s flock instead of chill with it.

Just know I don't want to make puppies to sell to be other people's problems. I have a small wagon and will get or build a sled later. I want a team and if they have other tendencies such as herding or protection, bonus.
By this do you mean you plan to keep all the puppies for yourself? If this is a cross you’re sure you want to make, then keeping them all makes absolute sense because as you said, they won’t become other people’s problems. And you will be able to evaluate them all when they are grown and see what the mix produced. And, forewarned is forearmed, so you will know what tendencies the mix could produce. :thumbsup