Lily and Colash Kidding Thread

FallViewFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank youi! I think the lil girls face just looks so sweet. And her nose looks like a heart in that picture. I want to call her 'Sweetheart'. Everyone else is calling her 'Yahtzee'

It seemed every time I checked on them last night in the dark, one of the dams was sleeping with her babies, the other was not. Should I be worried about the dam who wasn't in with her babies? I put the babies right next to each other, even though the vet said she seriously doubted they would be cold in this weather. We had heat warnings yesterday.

I thought I was supposed to worm the dams today, but the vet says, 'no wormings unless we see evidence of worms'. I was warned by many people that kidding this time of year is hazardous because of the parasite loads. SOOOO one more thing to worry about. I will call the nearby veterinary hospital and see if I can drop off a fecal sample (better safe than sorry).

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Beautiful Babies! :love

Yes the theory and often used practice is de-worm after kidding. You are wise to not do that.
All our does kidded this year and not a one needed de-worming.
We run our own fecals and do an Eggs per Gram (EPG) count. 2 does were slightly elevated but NOWHERE near needing de-wormed.
I'd wait 2 weeks then take a fecal in.. ask for the McMasters method for actual numbers.

cindyg

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It sounds like you are doing everything right, just try to relax. The nursing will come around, they really do only take a few gulps at a time, but over the day it adds up to enough. If the doe is letting them on and not butting them away they will be fine. Fecal is the way to go, before worming, some does won't need it and some will. Good idea to get the kids checked too after they start pooping normally. Congratulations, those are some cute babies!!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
You are very welcome. I have been there too (I bet we all have really).

Those are some very very pretty kids (and mommy is stunning).

I like your vet ;) Very good advice.

FallViewFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you everyone! In hindsight, I wouldn't have had them both bred at the same time. I would have staggered our kidding.

sevlep1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OMG those babies are so beautiful! Congrats :)