Linda Sue and Willow

Linda Sue Pardee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just got my first 11 month old neutered lamb, almost a ram. He has a scab on his back that looks to be well healed but should I apply anything that might facilitate the healing. It does not resemble the scab disease either. He is a beauty, came from Texas as a show lamb but now in Western, NY. He may have been a 4-H project. He’s quite big with no tail, friendly and loving. He was days away from being butchered. I named him Willow and I love him so already. Shall get him a ewe in a few weeks. I’m very grateful to have found you all. It gives me comfort being such a rookie at this, so I’m all ears!!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sheep do better with a friend. Being a show whether, another wether would make a good friend. A ewe would be ok also. Maybe you could find an older retired ewe.
Congratulations on your new pet. If he is a wool breed, he will need shearing twice a year.
I raise Katahdin hair sheep, they are a meat breed. Katahdins don’t need shearing and their tails are left long.

Linda Sue Pardee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sheep do better with a friend. Being a show whether, another wether would make a good friend. A ewe would be ok also. Maybe you could find an older retired ewe.
Congratulations on your new pet. If he is a wool breed, he will need shearing twice a year.
I raise Katahdin hair sheep, they are a meat breed. Katahdins don’t need shearing and their tails are left long.
Thank you ever much for responding! I was able to remove the scab effortlessly once I discovered the new hair growth beneath it. But, he is limping on his right front hoof. He doesn’t want to keep weight on it long. He’s been limping for 5 days now. A couple of those days he seemed much improved. When should I think about having it looked at? He’s still affectionate, eating well and over all pretty happy. Question…is a whether a neutered lamb/sheep? It’s a new word for me. I will certainly consider your advice because as I previously said, I’m a total rookie at this but I’m hooked!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A wether is a castrated male and cannot reproduce. If you just want pets, buy another wether or maybe a n older retired ewe.
They would make perfect pets, but another show whether would already be halter broke and used to being led around.

Sheep have a gland between their “toes”. It can get plugged up and cause pain. If it’s plugged up, it will be swollen. Basically you pop it like a pimple, only not as easy. You have to squeeze and mash it, then wash and spray with Blue Kote.

Or his hoof may need trimming. Pick up his foot and see if the hoof wall is curled under his hoof. Then trim it off.

Or maybe he pulled a muscle and is sore. Run your hand over his shoulder, feeling for a swollen place and/or heat. Go down his leg.

Sheep are notorious for hiding their ailments because it makes them vulnerable to predators.

Put the halter on him, give him a treat and tie him up before doing the above. Favorite scratching place is between their front legs, because they can’t reach there. My sheep love animal crackers for treats.

Look over the Premier1 site. There’s lots of sheep and goat supplies. I but the trace minerals for sheep and mix with a 50# bag of stock salt. But I have lots more sheep than you do. LOL look at feed stores for sheep mineral, do not buy goat mineral, it has too much copper for sheep. I keep mine in a plastic kitchen trash can with a lid.

How about posting a picture of this new friend?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Go to the sheep section of this forum and start reading. You will find lots of helpful information. Be warned, we post the good, bad, birth, life, and death. We post successes and failures. That’s how we help one another and learn. Plus lots of pictures!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sheep are normally shorn once a year.... unless in very hot climates... but the idea is to get a wool staple length that is long enough to be able make something with it. Hence once a year, normally in the spring when the weather is starting to warm up. In colder climates that wool keeps his body warmer, helps to facilitate shedding of snow and the lanolin keeps his skin in good condition.
Show sheep are kept shorn regularly for keeping in shape for minor trimming for showing. They also get coats and such to keep them clean.

Latest posts