Lionhead Rabbit Thread

1Chick Magnet

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
BellLisaMo said:
I bred her to a blue buck, and we got 50/50. 2 white babies and 2 blue babies :O)
I would like a white bunny and I have been wondering about white genetics. does your girl have red or blue eyes? I think the genetics might be different for each eye color. I think it is great that you got both colors.

therealsilkiechick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
from my experiences breeding. vienna marked(like u have a black lion with dutch markings for an example) and bew carry the blue eyed gene. unless u have a parent that is a carrier u will not get a blue eyed baby from them.

for rew i believe cross to another rew will only throw rew babies. i don't think rew can mask color but someone who knows genetics more maybe can answer that better. that is the only differences i can think of off hand.

1Chick Magnet

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
therealsilkiechick said:
from my experiences breeding. vienna marked(like u have a black lion with dutch markings for an example) and bew carry the blue eyed gene. unless u have a parent that is a carrier u will not get a blue eyed baby from them.

for rew i believe cross to another rew will only throw rew babies. i don't think rew can mask color but someone who knows genetics more maybe can answer that better. that is the only differences i can think of off hand.
I have a vm black doe and her 2 daughters that do not have any marks. one daughter is blue and one is black. would it be possible to get blue eyes from anybody? what would I have to breed to to get a bew?
I have a few girls who have rew in the pedigree. how do I get rew kits?

BellLisaMo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
1Chick Magnet said:
BellLisaMo said:
I bred her to a blue buck, and we got 50/50. 2 white babies and 2 blue babies :O)
I would like a white bunny and I have been wondering about white genetics. does your girl have red or blue eyes? I think the genetics might be different for each eye color. I think it is great that you got both colors.
My Janis Hoplin has ruby red eyes :O)

1Chick Magnet

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
BellLisaMo said:
1Chick Magnet said:
BellLisaMo said:
My Janis Hoplin has ruby red eyes :O)
I love her name.

1Chick Magnet

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
my oldest kits are almost 4 weeks old now. they are coming out of the nestbox and are starting to eat. the next oldest have opened eyes. the one that looked like a frosted blue is really nice. I think it is a regular blue. the fur is very long. the 6 youngest are also doing great. chubby little tummies. :celebrate

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just bought two black month-old kits. I was told the dam was red and the sire was gray and that they were the only two born in their litter. I'm planning to cross them once and see what colors I can get and whether or not the small litter size is genetic. Hopefully I'll end up with a litter of nice kittens and a head full of answers.

Does anybody know what the procedure will be to register lionhead once their recognized by the ARBA? Does the rabbit need the three-generation pedigree or just a blood test or physical exam by a registrar?

Very new to rabbits so thanks for the advice!

CYG

Arabiansnob

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
To get a lionhead do you breed 2 lionheads together? or do you have to breed a lion head rabbits to a non lion headed rabbit?

Eia

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our Broken Tort VM "Chaz"
4228_280428_2224659583006_1443245790_32536325_625954_o.jpg

4228_279621_2226344185120_1443245790_32538259_4346621_o.jpg

4228_272575_2224649902764_1443245790_32536283_5517151_o.jpg

One of Chaz's Eyes has half brown and half Blue which is a DQ but we love him anyway!

Tab003

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
To register them, they will have to be accepted by ARBA. Then You need a pedigree at least 3 generations and the animal will be checked for any disqualifications. Also, you need to be a member of ARBA. If all checks out the registrar will put a tattoo in the animals rt. ear. I think it cost about $7 to register ea one.

Tab