Livestock Guardian Dogs?? Should I get one? (more pics)

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I thought about hot wire, it would help keep tiny goats in. I do have an invisible fence system that I used at my other house for my small dogs, he wouldn't even be able to get close enough to the fence to dig under it! He would get a beep before he gets a shock, I'm sure he'd learn fast. We just have a big pasture and that would be a lot of wire to run either way!

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The lady who sold me the dog just contacted me about two other puppies that she had placed with someone else a few months ago. It seems that these people are looking to get rid of their puppies too, but her suggestion was that I could trade my guy in on a different pup that is hopefully not a chicken killer! She said the other two have been around chickens and have no problem with them. But I wonder why they are being re-homed so soon?? That doesn't sound like a solution to me.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would find a professional trainer and speak to them. I would also see if there are farms in the area that have LGD's and get their opinions on how their dogs handle all the different livestock and how they keep them in their proper areas along with what they did to train them. I don't have any experience with the dogs but I could tell you about llamas! :p

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think we're going to try the electric fencing for now. As long as I can keep him contained we should be fine. If a chicken goes into his pen, oh well, she's fair game. I cannot have a dog breaking out so that he can go on a chicken hunt!

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sometimes the chicken chasing/killing is tied to age. However, I have an Aussie who killed chickens when she was young, and has been fine for years on my farm UNTIL a couple of months ago when she started digging to get into the goat pen, where she attacked a buck. She is now penned with my horse, with an escape pen for her dog house and food, and it is a royal pain. She could dig out if she wanted to badly enough, and that is a constant worry. Anyone want a spayed Aussie?

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've decided to install our underground fence system around the outside of the goat fence. That way digging won't even be an option for him. Neither will going over the fence. I can adjust the stimulation and the field width. If I want to keep him six feet back from the fence I can. I figure it could help with chicken training too. He won't be able to pin any against the fence if can't get near the fence! My goats will still be able to trim the grass along the fence lines too, so I won't have to weed whack!

He's been out so many times recently and only killed one little chick. He doesn't really show an interest in the chickens most of the time. I think he attacks if the opportunity arises and he spots a chicken in a vulnerable position. It doesn't seem like he's getting out just to go after chickens.... yet.

The woman I got him from said that her vet told her that once they get that taste for chicken, you can never break them of it. She re-homed one dog because it became a chicken killer. I do think that if we can keep him contained that should solve most of the problem. I know that some try to re-train chicken killers, but I can't catch this guy reacting to the chickens! When I'm observing him, he doesn't look twice at the chickens!!

I'm putting him to the test today. I fixed the spots where he got under the fence yesterday. The chickens are in the coop and I'm watching to see if he escapes again. So far, he's just hanging with the goat the way he used to. I'm still going to put in that fencing though. I think he knows he's literally in the dog house with me. For the first time ever, I can scold him and he seems to understand. Prior to this he just acted like a big lunkhead an nothing seemed to phase him. I guess maybe I just had to get mad enough to get my point across!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
The hot wire sounds like the best course of action, better than the drag, at least...

Our Anatolian killed an escaped guinea once, but nothing after that.
Our pyrs have never hurt a bird.
They've also never dug out or escaped.

That's my only experience w/ bird killers, and none w/ escape artists, so I can't really offer much useful advice except to say...every one of our LGDs went through an obnoxious phase where I'm ready to give up on them, and so far ea of the 3 turned out to be wonderful adult guardians.

Hopefully with time and patience he'll 'grow up' and you'll be so glad you have him.

Good luck....

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Update on my boy. We installed underground fencing for him. I like the goats to be able to trim under the fence for us so I didn't want to install a hot wire just yet. I also had an underground system lying around so I figured I'd use it!

I thought the big lug may not be phased by it, but he really yelped the first time he got too close to the fence! The nice part about it, is that not only does it keep him in, but it works as a training tool too. If he goes after a chicken and tries to corner it or pin it against the fence, he gets zapped when he's about three feet from the fence! This allows the chicken time to escape too.

So far though, he doesn't show any signs of being a true chicken killer. The hens walk on the fence and he doesn't look twice at them. They are right outside his fence all the time and he shows no interest.

I think he is just going through an obnoxious teenage phase. He's much better since the installation of the fence and he's back on duty and doing a great job once again. I like him again, and I'm no longer mad at him!

texascowmama

In waiting
Reaction score
YES, YES, YES!! Go now, don't pass go, don't collect $100 bucks!! We got our Great Pyrenees last year and he is a wonderful, beautiful animal! His instincts amaze me everyday!

A few pointers though. Don't worry if it's AKC registered. Do get one from a working farm. For instance, Diesel came from a chicken farm where he was exposed to chickens from day 1. His parents were working dogs. Another thing, in the beginning, when they are all fuzzy and adorable.....RESIST!! Don't bring them in the house to cuddle, don't let them on your lap. They are working dogs and should not be spoiled. Put them in their kennel at night in with the animals they are to protect. We did this with Diesel from day 1 and he NEVER had an accident in his kennel at night and is now protective over HIS chickens!! He even chases the guineas out of the coop!

Good luck in finding one. Remember, the first month is the most important. Be consistent. So many times I wanted to bring Diesel in and snuggle with him, but I knew I would ruin him and then I would be stuck feeding a dog the size of a horse for nothing.

Go ahead, do it! They are wonderful creatures!!

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
texascowmama said:
YES, YES, YES!! Go now, don't pass go, don't collect $100 bucks!! We got our Great Pyrenees last year and he is a wonderful, beautiful animal! His instincts amaze me everyday!

Go ahead, do it! They are wonderful creatures!!
Thanks, I'm so glad you approve of LGD's. I posted this a few months ago and did get a Karakachan puppy of 5 months old from a working farm. (check out the entire thread if you want more details, I think I posted pics too) He was working when we got him and was doing an amazing job until recently he started digging out of the fence and killed two chickens. We've since remedied the situation and he's back on duty and doing a great job again.

I don't expect my dog to bond with the chickens or anything like that. The chickens should stay out of his area and if they don't, oh well, too bad. I just need him here to bark and keep that nasty fox, racoons and skunks away!

So far, I'm impressed and I love the bond he has with the goats. I love the way he monitors the humans who are "messing with" his goats too! He just pushes his way in and sniffs and licks at our hands the whole time. I'm sure that if he sensed or smelled any intent to do the goats any harm and he would take action! He's just a big goof ball most of the time, but that just disguises the fact that he is "all business"!