~Livinwright Farm's kidding thread~ 2 preggers does... hopefully :)

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
My comment of "the rest of you have it SO easy", was not about taking care of your animals(as I have read the "Oh crud!" posts), but rather about the amount of resources you all have.
I think there are LOTS of folks in exactly that same boat.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Okay, after that lovely tearful veering off of my main topic...

Back to Cali: How normal/abnormal is the teat mouthing & pulling?

If it is normal, when(in terms of pregnancy stage) have you noticed this behavior?

Also, what IS she doing by doing this? stimulating production, trying to pull ot the teat barbs, _________??

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:

If it is normal, when(in terms of pregnancy stage) have you noticed this behavior?

Also, what IS she doing by doing this? stimulating production, trying to pull ot the teat barbs, _________??
Ok...I noticed Daisy did this a couple of days prior to giving birth. BUT, I must stress that every goat is different. Lilly never gave any indication of imminent delivery except for building and filling her udder 12 hours prior.

As to the reason that she's doing this I really don't have the answer.

Livinwright, it sounds like you really need :hugs Goat deliveries are stressful even when you know all the facts. And as my buck Speedy has taught me, mating can be quite fast (or speedy ;) ). Take a few deep breaths, count to 10, say the serenity prayer...whatever calms you down. Becky has given you the green light to contact her if you're in need during the delivery. You can contact me as well (just message on facebook it goes right to my phone).

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
elevan said:
Livinwright Farm said:

Ok...I noticed Daisy did this a couple of days prior to giving birth. BUT, I must stress that every goat is different. Lilly never gave any indication of imminent delivery except for building and filling her udder 12 hours prior.

As to the reason that she's doing this I really don't have the answer.

Livinwright, it sounds like you really need :hugs Goat deliveries are stressful even when you know all the facts. And as my buck Speedy has taught me, mating can be quite fast (or speedy ;) ). Take a few deep breaths, count to 10, say the serenity prayer...whatever calms you down. Becky has given you the green light to contact her if you're in need during the delivery. You can contact me as well (just message on facebook it goes right to my phone).
Okay *nods head*, that udder thing is one of the most variable things with a pregnant doe... at least that is what I gather from various posts here and on other sites. I read on a couple sites that some does are really off, and don't really bag up until 12-24 hrs POST kidding :ep
Not worried about this behavior... just saw it and was curious what she was trying to accomplish. :lol:

Thank you, thank Becky, and thank you! I really hope I won't need to contact either of you, but hope that I am messaging you both by the end of the month with a birth announcement or two!! :fl :fl :fl :fl :fl
PS: Maude is slowly growing her udder and has been butting heads(in a practice sparring manner) with the new buck Falkor. They wil gently butt heads(no rearing up and smashing), and then smell each other's foreheads... it's cute to watch.

fanov8

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Any new pics? I know its been a bit since you have posted new pics ;)

St0rmyM00n

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
My comment of "the rest of you have it SO easy", was not about taking care of your animals(as I have read the "Oh crud!" posts), but rather about the amount of resources you all have.

Up in the White Mountains, knowledgeable vets(small/domestic animal & livestock) are disappearing at an alarming rate, and they have been since '07. I would either have to drive to East Puckerdoo Maine or down to the southern half of the state to find a vet still willing to work with goats and then pray that they are knowledgeable.
Farms up here are dying off because of the lack of vets to fill out prescriptions, run tests(like CAE & CL), etc.
NONE of the small animal vets are willing to help even the knowledgeable goat owner get the prescriptions they need. I might go to the Sandwich Fair this year just to try to find an experienced, moderately local, goat owner. :/

I am glad that you would be there for me if/when I need help, Becky! I sure hope I won't need it!
I feel like such a maroon after posting for...what?... 3 months now?.. that Cali is due any day. I hate that I don't have an exact date of breeding... more than that, that she was accidentally bred. I have second guessed off and on, "is she or isn't she?" everytime I think she might not be, there is more proof that she is... but then... there is all this waiting. And I am sure there are people who have read this thread and thought, "Wow, these people are idiots"

I am trying to be as relaxed as I can be... but it is difficult, espescially seeing all of the major health issues & death posts these past few months. :(
I know that you know who is in control... I just have a difficult time letting the reigns go, where we have already lost over half of our chicks(mysterious deaths, trampling by goats, and death by rooster) & almost lost a hen. We lost our only white crested black polish chick today... either Marly or I accidentally stepped on it. :hit
Your not alone as far as resources go.

I am not really in the position to even pay for a vet I am riding lucks wings and just hoping that I never ever have a need for one.
Hoping that if I can just keep them healthy and make the right choices everything will be ok.

I was very very lucky with Malina the babies head did get stuck both legs were tucked inside really good wedged in there.

I lost my head for just a moment and my daughter laughed at me it snapped me out she said I kept saying "Oh God Oh GOD"
Only I didn't remember saying not 1 word.

Thats when I took a deep breath and told Malina come on girl Push I reached 1 finger inside not all the way but just in around the part that was around the babies head, found the leg it was bent under him I hooked my finger under and pulled it out. Only I could not find his other leg. I stood up took another breath calmed my self and I said Malina girl you gotta work with me and push again and when she did I cupped one hand over his head and the other hand under the 1 leg out and his chest when she pushed i pushed downward and out he came.

He was big I don't know if she would have been able to do it her self.

I don't think Cali has 1 baby in there but thats just me... Malina wasn't that big.

I would never think your an idiot. Things happen its a part of life.

As for the teat pulling I personally never saw Malina do that but I did notice a day or 2 before she went into labor the plugs were gone. Softly rub at the tip of the teat and see if they are still there.

Maybe this is also another indication. I may have missed seeing Malina doing this.

Watch her ligs everyone kept telling me that I didnt understand what they meant till I actually felt them gone its a whole different feeling I was jumping up and down that they were finally gone it took me a little while though to realize this is it , this is the end we have finally been waiting for.

Also I never saw the bubble that comes out before the baby, when they say every doe is different it is true.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Don't worry about the neverending "she is due any day!" post. I think we have all been there at one time. Goats are hard to read. Good luck and I hope this works out soon!

We will be there for you when it does!

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
fanov8 said:
Any new pics? I know its been a bit since you have posted new pics ;)
No new pics yet... my laptop crashed hard(started making this weird "buuuzzzzz-beep" noise, froze, ended up having to do a hard shut down{pressed the pwr button until it shut off}, then when I went to restart it it came up with this computer garble and then came up with "no boot disk found, insert boot disk and press any key to continue" :( :hit
SO , I am now using an old as dirt computer that takes a while to load... I will have to see if I can load pics onto my mom's laptopthis afternoon, and upload to our Facebook page from there.

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am in your shoes right now,daughter's 3 new goats with unknown breeding dates. I can top you tho with the udder pulling, not sure about one she has an udder BUT I saw the 3 year old buck nursing off her!!!!! Now thats udder pulling lol. Not sure if he saw the 6 week old babies nursing (on the 3rd doe)and said "what the hey!" or ????? Same doe is HUGE in the belly and nothing in the pooch dept. Another doe is small in the belly and very poochy. Doe nursing 6 week olds is probably preggers again also. Geez Louise! Hang in there, has to be soon! I'm just grateful it's warm weather with the mess we just inherited!