Looking for Goat Safe Barn Paint!

cjulian214

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We are building a storage shed that will be providing one side to our nigerian goat enclosure in our backyard. We plan on using unpainted wood for the goat shed itself, but would prefer to coat our backyard storage shed (which is made from wood) in something that will protect it from the weather while not causing any harm to our goats in case they chew on it. Also, we will be milking these goats and are unsure if that makes a difference as to which paint they can be exposed to. A lot of websites make sure to mention "animal safe paint" but don't give the actual brands! Any ideas or experience in painting wood that the goats are around?

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't know how helpful this will be, but any paint that is safe to use on items or rooms where children will be are usually animal safe paints also. I do know that Benjamin Moore and Olympic make non-toxic paints and I'm sure there are others.
Why not go to a paint store or a home improvement store and talk to actual paint sales people.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Goatherd said:
I don't know how helpful this will be, but any paint that is safe to use on items or rooms where children will be are usually animal safe paints also. I do know that Benjamin Moore and Olympic make non-toxic paints and I'm sure there are others.
Why not go to a paint store or a home improvement store and talk to actual paint sales people.
x2

But you can still expect the goats to chew and rub it off ;)

BetterHensandGardens

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We wanted to coat the inside of our chicken coop with something safe, and a BYC forum member suggested that they had researched and used Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane for their barn and animals. That's what we ended up using on the inside of our chicken coop (details here: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/07/04/new-chicken-coop-protection/ ) So, you might want to investigate that product.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
elevan said:
Goatherd said:
x2

You can stop a lot of the chewing by adding chalk to the paint. Goats hate the taste. Chalk on tree trunks is a common thing in some parts of the world to keep goats from chewing the bark off them.

cjulian214

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas! Yeah, we went to the store and asked for livestock safe paint, and they looked at us like we were insane!

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas! Yeah, we went to the store and asked for livestock safe paint, and they looked at us like we were insane!
You were supposed to ask for child-safe paint! :lol: Too much information results in insane looks!

tcmers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
kstaven said:
elevan said:
Goatherd said:
x2

You can stop a lot of the chewing by adding chalk to the paint. Goats hate the taste. Chalk on tree trunks is a common thing in some parts of the world to keep goats from chewing the bark off them.
Great tip! We'll have to give that a try.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
A low V.O.C. latex and chalk works well. All our wood fences have been painted in it for 7 years now and no goat damage.

ThornyRidgeII

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
dumb question but I am trying to picture how to apply.. what kind of chalk to trees and how is it applied.. and how often??