losing over half the litter

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My doe had her first litter about 12 weeks ago, she birthed 11 (which seemed healthy), we lost all but 6 in the first few days. Those 6 are happy and very healthy.

Then, she had a second litter, which she again had 11, but only 4 lived past the first few days. She's not eating them, as several people tell us she might. But, seems like they are either not feeding properly, or just plain dieing.

We have them in a box, and she has her mounds of fur in there. It is hard thought, when the main feeding time is in the middle of the nights to make sure they are all getting ample food.

I hate that we're losing so many. Is this normal during the summer?

Any helpful hints would be great!

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What breed is she and what is the buck. We keep detailed records on our rabbits. Some does just don't support raising large litters. I know we had 1 doe that averages 12 kindling and only raises 9. Count her teats. If she only has 6, maybe that is your problem.

This falls under the category of "things to consider when culling". If she is just a weak doe, replace her sooner.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
hmm...will deff check out the teats. Never thought about that. It seemed 11 was a lot for her. But, there might be a main reason behind it. I will take that into consideration when choosing the next Doe. We want to have at least 2 does and 1 buck for production purposes. Thanks!

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I go with a three strikes and you're out policy. And its a good things for all 10 of my does as 8 of them did not do well as moms until their third litter.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
And I lost another one last night. *sigh* :hit
That leaves 3. what a bad batch. I will deff hold her to the 3 strike rule and see what comes of it. When in doubt, try another doe.

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know this is difficult to take as I was in my fourth month of raising rabbits before I finally began to see some success. This web site helped me achieve that success. One thing I was not doing that helped me get to that point was supplementing my does with calf manna. Maybe that would help you too.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When do you start weaning the mother from the calf manna?

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Calf Manna? I've never heard of it. I just googled it, and read up on it a bit. So this is a feed and also a supplement? Or just a supplement you put in w/ their feed? When would you stop giving it to them?

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I start supplementing my does right after I breed them. I give 1\4 cuo a day. I continue until I wean the buns at 4 weeks. This has worked very well for me.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
For any rabbit, more than 8 is hard and only the best moms can handle it on their own. If you aren't feeding her extra and better food to help boost milk, start now. If she still fails after that, then clearly over 8 is plainly too hard for her to handle.
You also need to keep an eye on the kits in summer and the mom, both can die from over heating. Too much fur and hay in a nest now can kill.