Lost my doeling to a horrible accident. New ?

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
?Anyways to make a long horrible story short I lost my doeling yesterday morning.
It was my fault.
We had been away all weekend and the goats had been penned in our smaller pen(my mother feeding and watering them)
When we got home I put the goats collars on to move them from the small pen to the barn for the night.
I usually remove their collars whenever they are unsupervised.
Well being tired I didn't even think about it.
In the morning when I went to let them out for the day I found my doeling hanging from her collar. She had somehow gotten it stuck on one of the boards in the barn. Her front feet were literally a couple of mm's from the floor.

It was devastating. The worst part of it all?? I knew the dangers of leaving collars on goats and I am usually very careful about it.

Now the advice I need. My little wether seems lost now, he hasn't been eating and is crying constantly. He appears to be searching for sweat pea.

I have always heard that goats don't do well alone. Given the circumstances though will he stop mourning soon and be a fine as an only goat?

Or should we be looking for a companion for him?

At first I thought we would rehome Oliver and just be done with goats. I had so much guilt for what happened that I thought maybe I shouldn't even have goats.

But then I remembered how much joy they bring to our family and that it is very difficult to find pet homes for wethers in our area.

So I decided to forgive myself and learn from my mistake.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your loss.

I would find him a buddy. Since he was living with a goat already, I bet he wouldn't do good alone. Probably best to find him a buddy fast.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Goats are social animals and need a buddy. So sorry abut your loss !!

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I agree, he needs a buddy ASAP. Please don't beat yourself up, just use this as a learning lesson that you can spread far and wide. There are way too many people who for their benefit leave collars on their goats. To move goats, I use a double ended snap and a heavy plastic cow collar. One size fits all, because I never make a collar.

http://www.enasco.com/product/C07108N

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well he may have to be miserable until spring. In our area there is not alot of goats and this time of year, well even less. The only goat I am able to find is a 3 yr old possibly bred nubian doe.

I assume that she wouldn't make an appropriate companion for a 7-8 month old toggenburg wether? Is this a correct assumption?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I don't see why not. There will probably be some bullying at first just to establish herd order but she is going to want a buddy as much as he does.

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
okay. Well we will go and look at her.

My only reservation is the fact that she has been running with a billy and the owners have no idea if she was bred. So I would have no idea when to expect babies if she was. That makes me nervous. I like to have everything planned.

She is 3 and has already kidded 2 sets of twins with no problems. So I assume that is a positive.

Oh dear...I guess we'll just have to see.

mossyStone

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Having a momma goat could be the best thing you ever do :). your little guy will be so much more relaxed and happy with a buddy.....

I am so sorry for your loss of you little doe.....Hugs

Mossy Stone Farm

Sweet Cheeks

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am so sorry for the loss of your little doe. That would be horrible.

I thank you so much for posting your loss on the other hand. I am getting my first two goats on Friday. 6 month old doeling and wether nubians.

If it wasn't for your post, I would have left their collars on. I've been doing lots of reading from this site, breeder's sites, and haven't read anything about taking off their collars.

All of the pics I've seen of goats, show the majority of them with collars on.

Best of luck to you with your little guy and getting a friend for him.

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, and Sweet cheeks good luck with your new goats. You will love them!

We went to look at the "nubian" doe. She appears to me to be a Nubian Saanen cross. She has airplane ears and is all white. Shes definately not a purebred. Desperate for a buddy for Oliver we bought her and they wouldn't budge on the price. They were sure she was a nubian. I will post a pic tomorrow.

Anyways so now I have my 100 dollar dairy cross who is possibly pregnant by a buck that appeared to be part Ewok.

For somebody that knows nothing about goats (mouldy bread and pairs was the only food in there shelter), He handed me paper work from his vet which states all the testing she has had done in the last few months and a record of her up to date shots and the results of a fecal(irrelevant since it was 6months ago)

She appears heatthy and had been free ranging on there 10 acre property.

Latest posts