Making a milk room need advice

Whispering Hope Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So my dad said that he would help me build a milk room. I am so excited. Right now I am milking 2 nigerian dwarf goats - Love it! and this fall my 2 jersey cross cows should freshen also!!! So any advice on how big to make it (can only make it 10 ft wide so how long should I make it because the cows have to come in and go out the same way so they will have to turn around), any other necessities that you would recommend. I was thinking to put a drain in the middle of the floor and large enough drain so I could wash the poop down the drain. Putting fiberglass on bottom part of wall for washing. I am not thinking about becoming an inspected dairy but if I did how would I build it now in case I want to later? Thanks.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The possible inspected dairy part is a huge curve ball. That varies SIGNIFICANTLY depending on your state. The only way to find that answer is through your state dept responsible for the licensing. You would want to talk to an inspector.

Don't wash manure down the drain. It will collect somewhere in the line and create a clog. DO scoop it up before washing the floor. Beyond that, a milk room for nigerians and Jerseys is challenging. I use an empty horse stall for milking our Lamanchas.

Good lighting makes a big difference.

Whispering Hope Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. That is what I wanted - good information from people that have done it already. I didn't know that the poop would stick somewhere in the line. I was hoping for a quick fix and just hose it down the drain but at least now I know before I make that mistake.

SillyChicken

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Most drains in a barn just run out the side on to the grass or something... you'll end up needing to clean the poop up on the other end of the drain anyway. Best to scoop it up, then hose down like suggested. Good Lighting and some outlets so you can run a fan to help keep it cool for you and your goats. Help everything dry up faster too. A good stainless steel sink and counter area so you can have running water and can cool the milk and clean up afterwards. A medicine cabinet or some other cabinets to keep supplies in. I'm looking into setting something up as well.

Latest posts