Mare with a mysterious fever, no other symptoms?

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My mare was very lethargic the other day and just stood in the barn all day with her head down, and did not eat at all.

I took her temp it was 103.9!! She had not eaten her grain the night before but was still nibbling hay and drinking a little water. I figured she might be slightly colicky so I gave her a dose of Banamine before I went to bed and was planning to call the vet in the morning.

The next morning, temp was down to 98 (she normally runs a lower than normal temp) She was behaving normally, her appetite was back, she was active and grazing all day. Gradually as the day went on, her temp began to climb slightly, but nothing considered a fever. By 4PM she was a little sluggish again, and her temp was 102.6.

I chose not to give her banamine this time and monitor her temp until morning. By morning, temp back down to normal 98.6. She's acting normal, pulse normal, respirations, mucous membranes and gums normal colors. No injuries or signs of external infection. Poops normal, gut sounds normal. She's fine so far today, out grazing and eating hay. She emptied her hayrack last night and almost her entire 5 gallon bucket of water.

What the heck is going on?? Why sluggish and feverish by the end of the day, but back to normal by morning? I'm confused. :hu

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't know, but I DO know that human normal temperature is 98.6 F, and horses' normal temperature will be between 99.8 F and 101.3 F. Is she up on her tetanus shots? If she's had an injury, did you give her a tetanus toxoid booster? I imagine your Vet will do a blood workup. Just running through the list... :idunno

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My thought is she might of eaten something. Elevated temperatures are indicative of some kind of infection. Good that she is doing better!

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Her temp normally runs low according to my digital thermometer. I'm not sure how much I trust those digital things so I monitor her temp every few hours just to watch for spikes. Her normal temp on that thermometer runs from 97-98 typically. I know normal for humans is 98.6, I just think its funny when her temp is exactly that! She acts so human most of the time!

She's UTD on all shots. Of course tetnus. Had a nail in her foot a few months ago, but never suffered anything from it, has been fine ever since.

She's fine today. I'm watching her out the window. I've got the gate closed and she's out in the pasture so that I can keep a better watch on her. I'll be taking her temp tonight when I bring her in for the evening and I'll give her a little grain to see how her appetite is.

So far today she seems fine. We did have a bit of sudden cold and very windy weather a day or two before her sudden onset of symptoms?? Just very strange.

Some times I think that maybe I spend too much time with my horses! :) Its just me and the horses here most of the time and I notice the slightest little change in behavior. I know a lot of people who aren't as fortunate to spend so much time with their horses, and might not even notice such subtle symptoms. I just don't like to call the vet out for no good reason. He's all the way across state lines! I don't want him to start to think I "cry wolf" too much, he might become reluctant to head all the way up here at a time when there really is an emergency.

Countrymom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Has she within the last week or so been around anyother horses? Or drank from a trough/bucket/or whatever that another horse could have drank from that she is not normally with?

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Countrymom said:
Has she within the last week or so been around anyother horses? Or drank from a trough/bucket/or whatever that another horse could have drank from that she is not normally with?
Nope, she wasn't with any new horses, just her usual pasture buddy. No exposure to new animals at all. She's fine now. She seemed a little lethargic yesterday, but I think I just caught her at naptime, her temp was normal.

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Is she old by any chance? just wondering if she is a senior or not?

The key for me with horses, when in doubt and you got that gut feeling something might be wrong....get the vet. Bloodwork is the best quick test to see if the horse has a problem. I just always went by gut on the vet for my horses. And I always called sooner then later.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:

The key for me with horses, when in doubt and you got that gut feeling something might be wrong....get the vet. Bloodwork is the best quick test to see if the horse has a problem. I just always went by gut on the vet for my horses. And I always called sooner then later.
She's 16. Some consider that old, other's don't. She certainly doesn't look or act 16, she looks and acts more like 5 or 6.

Countrymom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
With no contact to new or outside horses, and her getting better on her own so to speak, I would suspect she ate something. Maybe even some mold somewhere. Just keep an eye on her. And like Farmer, I don't wait too long at all. Rather bug the vet. Most times when I go in unsure I don't end up with a huge enough bill to worry about.

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
dianneS said:
FarmerChick said:

She's 16. Some consider that old, other's don't. She certainly doesn't look or act 16, she looks and acts more like 5 or 6.
I hear you....while being 16 is older sometimes they aren't their age. I rode my horses well into the 20s cause they did so well aging.

hope she does OK for you!!