Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
And ... They stayed on property until 1am then went 6 miles away. Once I get out of Monday 9am - noon meeting I will go retrieve them. Hera gets to go back on leader while I try and clear fence line for hot wire.
I know it's not possible (or perhaps practical) but catching them in the act and then reprimanding could work - but if they are actually doing what they are supposed to do - guarding then that wouldn't be an option.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've had a little luck scolding Leo when I caught him mid-climb. Neither are staying anywhere close to sheep (<300ft or line of site) when on pasture. The sheep are locked up overnight. I think they've figured out leave overnight they get to roam till lunch. 😡
Remember - I have zippo experience with LGDs 🙃 - if you're putting the sheep up at night then I'd put the dogs up at night. No idea how you do the night thing - but mine are locked up in the barn, if yours are just in a pen then that's a different story.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
My sheep shed is an old horse run-in shelter with cattle panel. Something a coyote or LGD that climbs or digs can get out. I've tried hot wire top and bottom. The LGDs will not come into shed at night anymore since they know I will close them in. :(

I zoomed in on trackers and it looks like Leo is the instigator at least last night. I really want to rehome both of them at this point. All they are doing is giving me more anxiety and eating a ton of food. But then I feel guilty. 😢
Trackers.png

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
My newish stud finder works on the studs.
MY OLD RELIABLE STUD FINDER IS AN 8D NAIL.

With the sheep locked up at night, the dogs probably don't have enough to do if the predator load is not extreme. In Texas we don't have a lot of predators coming up to the fence line like we had on our 6 acres in California. In California we had t lest 3 packs living close to the property. At night they would come up to the fences and howl so our dogs had to patrol at night. All night they would patrol the fence lines. You could try leaving the night pen gate open to see if the dogs stay with the sheep at night if the sheep have more opportunity to go out into the pastures.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ridgetop If they don't stay with sheep during the day, I'm not willing to trust them to stay with them at night. We still have the pack of coyotes howling on back of property with creek.

I'm trying an experiment. Leo will let me put him on leader in exchange for dinner. I did that last night and Hera only roamed about the immediate neighbors. Much better that 6 miles away. I can't remember for sure but I think worse roaming started after Leo arrived.

Latest posts