Meet my first goats

Hykue

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just wanted to introduce my goats to everyone. I got them last week from two different breeders. Dot is eight, an experienced milker (which I am not), and raised 5 of her own kids last year (bred in early fall, accidentally bred as soon as she gave birth in Jan). She's a pretty tough nut, and she likes me just fine, because she knows I have a stash of grain (and pea shells). She's dry right now because this year's kids were killed by a bear (nearly all of them in their herd :( ). She's patient and makes a good learner's goat, especially since she used to live here at my house (I bought her from the same people we bought our house from).

IMG_9803.JPG

IMG_9794.JPG

IMG_9829.JPG

Dash is a last year's bottle baby. She hasn't been bred yet, and she's much smaller than Dot. She is very loving, to the point that she gets pretty frantic if left "alone" - which is to say, with only a goat for company. She's locked in the barn until I can get electric fence put up, except for when I go out to the big pasture with them. I foolishly expected the fence that was already here - which had held goats for three years - to hold MY goats.

IMG_9813.JPG

IMG_9814.JPG

So far, the most exciting things I've done are to teach Dash to get on the milking stand to eat grain, and to trim Dot's hooves. (They look much better!) Dash trusts me so completely that I am using her to teach my dog that goats are not prey - she will happily follow me right up to the dog (who is safely tied up). I'm hoping to eventually take them for walks together, and the goats can help me clear the trail.

Anyway, I figure I'll be on here at least once in a while, trying to glean more knowledge than I already have, so I thought I'd introduce my girls.

Hykue

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! I think they're pretty great, myself. I've been doing lots of reading here, and I will probably do more. Thanks for such a great site with great information. It is sad about the bear. It explains why Dot is always so vigilant. Anyway, I'm hoping to look after them well, and get lots of milk in return!