Might get a foal as a first time horse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
carolinagirl said:
hollandloplover said:
Nah i think i will stick with getting one. All i asked for was some info on breaking them.
you are not going to learn how to break a horse by reading on a forum. If you want to learn how to break one, see if you can volunteer at a horse farm.
I have to say that's the best advise for anyone getting involved. I did that for the whole summer one year. I LOVED horses and wanted one so bad. So I helped out for a full summer at a private riding facility. It was the BEST learning experience I ever had. Learned from very knowledge horse people. Did I think I was ready after that? No way! I learned more of what it takes to keep these fine animals. I learned that I had LOTS of experience to get to actually keep a horse safe and happy. It's not just about riding. It's about getting to know and care and LEARN to ride properly.

I hope you change your mind and not just jump right in. The opinions and "life" examples of people who have been there, and reaching out to you now with sound advise, shows you need to work up to a foal. I thought the same thing about rabbits and breeding. Oh it's cute to raise them from babies and then see their babies. Yes when you get much experience under your belt. My plans have changed just listening to the people who have been there before.

I still would love to have a horse. Maybe one day, never know. But I know my limitations now and I know it's me that has to work up to the level of a GOOD Horse Owner.

Best of Luck!

theawesomefowl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If this is your first horse, an old (trained and calm) gelding/mare might be the best and cheapest option, especially if you are going to ride him. Just for experience, and you can always get a young foal after you get some experience in a few years. That is what I'd do; I'm not really a horse person myself, but I was looking into getting one several years ago.

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am just gonna ditto everyone else. I don't think I should really get too far into this one. There is a saying among horse people. "Green on Green = black and blue." It means an inexperienced handler and an inexperienced young horse is a recipe for disaster. Get a helmet. I am not saying that to me mean. If you are serious, then I am really worried about you.

theawesomefowl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
mydakota said:
I am just gonna ditto everyone else. I don't think I should really get too far into this one. There is a saying among horse people. "Green on Green = black and blue." It means an inexperienced handler and an inexperienced young horse is a recipe for disaster. Get a helmet. I am not saying that to me mean. If you are serious, then I am really worried about you.
I like that saying!

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think there is a troll playing with us. Posting to keep us excited as they list scenes from bad to worse. I am done posting with this person.

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
goodhors said:
I think there is a troll playing with us. Posting to keep us excited as they list scenes from bad to worse. I am done posting with this person.
X2

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
goodhors said:
not so sure it's a troll...I think she is a little kid. She has thrown some pretty ugly temper tantrums on BYC. She started the same thread over there and it got closed because she refused to listen, just like she is here. I am done too.

Status
Not open for further replies.