milk jugs

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Places like Ace Hardware will order the 2 quart jars for you. You can also find gallon jugs in glass in a beer and winemaking supply store. I just bought four for $4 each, and you can get lids or rubber stoppers. Get a bottle brush at the same store and you are good to go for a looooong time! Or ask about ordering widemouth gallons that you can clean by simply putting your arm in the jar.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I got my glass gallon jars from the ladies in the Nursing home kitchen where my MIL worked....they get pickles and the like in them....since they just throw them away when they're empty, I got them for free.

Point being, if you know anyone who works in a commercial-sized kitchen, you could probably luck into some.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
How recently? The few places I've asked told me their suppliers switched to plastic! Even for pickles! Maybe I should ask some more...

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Do you have a TSC nearby? At the one where I work, we are currently selling pickles in 1 gallon glass jars...I sold 2 to a lady last week just b/c she wanted the glass jars....said she'd feed the pickles to her birds. :lol:

It's been a couple of years since we got our jars, but I am sure there are still some places out there using them. Good luck in the search.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Do you have a TSC nearby? At the one where I work, we are currently selling pickles in 1 gallon glass jars...I sold 2 to a lady last week just b/c she wanted the glass jars....said she'd feed the pickles to her birds. :lol:

It's been a couple of years since we got our jars, but I am sure there are still some places out there using them. Good luck in the search.
Thanks, I'll call and ask if they have them.

henrymilker

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We milk 4 goats daily and use quart jars, wide mouth, they fit perfectly on our milker. If you are unable to find 1/2 gallon or gallon jars at your local grocery or department store, there are many online vendors from which you can order. You will be able to find a whole variety of sources by searching: 1/2 gallon canning jars

One such source for 1/2 gallon jars is
http://www.canningpantry.com/ball-half-gallon-mason.html

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
That is a great site, thank you! I will probably order some eventually. I love the half gallon bottles with the bpa-free caps! They will fit so nicely in the fridge, especially when it starts to build up in there....I think those nice square bottles will take up so much less space, and are still easy to handle.

I have to find someone to split an order with me in MA or CT. A box of 24 half gallon bottles from stanpac is $150 with shipping, so a great deal, but too much for me. Twelve bottles would give me six gallons of milk storage, plenty for me since I make four gallon batches of cheese. Anyone interested? H23? Not right now, though. Yet another client lost her job. Which means I lose another job. Eeek.