milk taste question's??

hollybird

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
i was raised on Jersey milk and am very spoiled. i want fresh milk for my family(and allergy sensitve child) but only have one acre now. a website claims that sheeps milk is not "sheepy" tasting but i was wondering if it could pass for cows milk? i have raised goats and sheep but don't like the aftertaste in goats milk. i can taste the difference in fresh vs. store bought and different cows but the ease of digestion is important too. Any one have opinions?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You can have a cow on 1 acre, you will just have to supplement more hay is all.

I have no clue on sheeps milk.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
as said you can have a cow on 1ac.it just means that you would most likely have to hay her year around.since it wouldnt take her long to eat an ac of grass down.

hollybird

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
lots of common cheeses are made of sheeps milk. has anyone tried fresh sheeps milk? i have good soil and irrigation but would have to supplement feed a cow unless maybe i find a mini.

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So goat milk has a after taste. I'm still thinking on a milking goat, but haven't gotten my hubby to agree. I really want a dairy cow, but goat is small and I can see how that goes with milking timing?My grand kids want me to get a diary, but I tell them, What you are going to come over every moring & night to milk and take care of them????They have chickens that they fight over who is going to feed them!!!!!It's always the other guys turn to do it!??

pokacow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Never tasted sheeps milk. Had a goat, I think I would like the cheese made from it better than just drinking it. Does have an aftertaste..not exactly bad but distinct. More palatable if really cold. I prefer cow. Could be cause that's what we are used to? I now have a Dexter who will calve in spring. They don't give ginormous amounts of milk & I will be sharing w/calf, will be just right for us, some cheese, yogurt & butter! J

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Seems lik I keep hearing about the Dexter's cows. Do you milk them everyday for milk??

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
m.holloway said:
Seems lik I keep hearing about the Dexter's cows. Do you milk them everyday for milk??
Yes. A cow needs to be milked twice a day every day. Some will leave the calf on her and then milk her just once a day but, you will need to milk her daily if you want milk for yourself.

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So a Dexter, is good for milking and small enough to be a pet cow too???? Oh i did up my grain feed to 3 pounds in moring and night. I'm not happy about the feed buying will go up, but my cows are happy. It did give Reba the runs the first day, but she's back to normal now. Sara-lu must have steel for her stomach. So far nothing has upset her yet

pokacow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes, they are a dual purpose breed..welll tri -purpose if you add in the pet factor! You have to milk every day but sharing w/calf I will only have to do it once a day & will still have plenty for the 3 of us. Weights average 600-1000lbs & 36-42" tall. Good feed conversion, easier to handle, although anything 600lbs w/4 legs having a mind to go somewhere.....heck, I can barely control my 120lb goat!! :rolleyes: J