Milking "Backwards"

Aped

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was watching that new show with Jeff Corwin on the food network and one episode he went to Greece where they milked a herd of sheep really quick. They kind of propped their back legs up on this big jug and then milked "backwards" into the jug behind the sheep, rather than under the sheep. They used no stanchion and the sheep was done real quick, although I don't think they emptied them out. Sheep don't have that much in them anyway I guess, depending on the breed.

Has anyone tried this sort of thing with their dairy goats? Or even their dairy sheep?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Until I was told I was "doing it wrong" I always milked mine from 'behind' instead of beside / under them. Our stanchion is huge and it's easier for me to just sit on it beside / behind them and milk away.

I try to do it the 'right' way when showing others how to but if nobody's lookin'...I'm back where I feel most at home...back behind them again.

Another benefit to this method (that I've found) is I keep my arms against their legs (on the inside) and I can 'feel' if one is about to kick and move the bucket in time. Handy with the jumpy first fresheners.

ThornyRidge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:lol: actually I think getting them in the stanchion is my biggest obstacle..

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
A funny side note....My daughter (who's a bit shorter than me) had to milk for me one day when I had to be at work earlier than normal. I came home to a disgusted child who asked me "How do you stand having your face right in their butt like that???"

It never occurred to me that w/ her reach being shorter / head being lower, she wouldn't be able to be 'off to the side' like I am.

Apparently Creampuff smacked her in the face w/ her tail repeatedly.
*snicker*

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
That is too funny! :gig

Nothing like getting back at your kids once in a while and not even trying to do it. :lol:

becksy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
A funny side note....My daughter (who's a bit shorter than me) had to milk for me one day when I had to be at work earlier than normal. I came home to a disgusted child who asked me "How do you stand having your face right in their butt like that???"

It never occurred to me that w/ her reach being shorter / head being lower, she wouldn't be able to be 'off to the side' like I am.

*snicker*
omg hahaha :gig

MrsCountryChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Roll farms said:

*snicker*
:lol: LOL TOO Funny!!! LOL :lol: Guess that's what happens when our kids are 'too busy' to take time to pay attention in the barn as to how things can be done. :lol: