Milking Goat and Weaning after birth

chickylou

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi all,

My milker Petunia is VERY pregnant. She got prego in December and I'm pretty sure she is going to have twins.

I was just reading my book about goats and weaning. He recommends that you immediately take them from their mothers and milk them.

What do you do when you want a milking goat and hand raised kids?

This is our first time with having baby goats and I did it only because I want Petunia's milk.

Do we let them nurse for a day or so? Or is it best immediately to remove them?

What's the best thing to do?

Also I don't live on a farm so if the kids squeal a lot, that might pose a problem for us. In that case is it better to remove them immediately?

Need some good advice!

Thanks in advance.

Chickylou

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was concerned about the babies crying too since we're in an area where we have neighbors that already think we're weird. :rolleyes: But I pulled the kids at birth anyway, put them in a separate pen and I've been bottle feeding them whole cow's milk and keeping Nestle's milk for ourselves. It's worked out quite well and they actually are very quiet except when they see me coming with the bottles in hand. :lol:

Edit: You can sell the babies as "bottle babies" this way as well if they are noisy. I already sold my buckling. But I'm contemplating keeping the girls. I'll decide as they get closer to weaning if I want to introduce them to my other two girls or sell them as well.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Another option is to let the doe raise the babies, then after 2-3 weeks separate the babies from her overnight, milk in the morning (leave a bit for the kids' breakfast) and let the kids nurse all day. Then wean them fully at 2-3 months old. This method is described at www.fiascofarm.com.

I got a doeling last year who was nursed by her mother then taken from her at 5 weeks. I didn't know better when the owner told me that I could continue to bottle feed her until she was old enough to wean. I don't think he knew, either. I will never, ever try to bottle feed a kid that has nursed (unless mom dies or dries up or some other dire emergency, that is.) I will leave the kids on the doe or bottle them from the first feeding on. That experience was very stressful for all concerned.

So if you do want to bottle feed them, consider taking them from the doe right away and bottle feeding them right from the start. Do give them her colostrum for the first few days, though, then switch them over very gradually to what you will continue feeding them after that.

Exciting times, huh? :)

chickylou

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Is it really hard on the Mama goats to pull their babies or are they pretty "I don't care" about it.

I'm so confused. As a Mama, I just keep empathizing!!! I see how huge they are and I think about my own HUGE pregnancies. I'm trying to see them as just animals, but I can't shake the horror of removing babies from them.

Do you just harden your heart and do it?
:D

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I can't stand the idea, so my plan is to use the Fias Co Farm method, described on the above link, with one of my does. But the other of my does is CAE-positive and I am hoping to keep a doeling from her, so I will have to pull her kids before she nurses them at all. Yes, it will break my heart, and hers, as those instincts are very strong.

They will get over it, though, so do what is best for you and your family. It will be easier if you sell them right away so there is not a lot of crying....especially you! Whoever buys them can bottle feed them. Then you can milk in peace and enjoy your doe and her milk without the nonstop reminders and the tugging on your heartstrings. In reality, you will probably have a harder time with it than any of the goats will. :hugs

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How long on average would you say mom cries for? I can imagine mom throws a fit and goes ballistic about the loss of her babies.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If you do decide to pull the babies, remember that they absolutely need that first milk which is called colostrum. They need it for the first 24 hours. You HAVE to get it from their mom.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I pulled the babies right way and let the doe lick me off. She bonded to ME, and would cry for me like I was her baby. She'd also lick lick lick me. She was pretty obnoxious about it for the first 3 weeks, but now she's settled back down and is acting like her normal self.

I think the longer you keep the babies with mom, the harder it is on all involved. I didn't even let June clean off her babies because she started to talk to them and I didn't want her to bond at all. A few days after she kidded, she saw the kids when she came in to be milked and she didn't even recognize them. It really wasn't hard on either party. Well, maybe me, but not the kids or June. :D

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
You HAVE to get it from their mom.
Well, you don't *have* to, though it is best. You can get it from another goat or even a cow if you don't have any other options.

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
She bonded to ME, and would cry for me like I was her baby.
I second that, although I didn't let her lick me. LOL The first week she'd cry as I walked away for a good 5-10 minutes or so even after I was out of sight. She's over it now and only cries until I get to the door, at which point she must realize I'm not coming back until later. She's not a particularly loud crier in the first place so not terribly annoying. :)