Minature Horses

Countrymom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ninny for minis you need short fencing, but also tall enough for them not to reach over. For ponies it just depends. I have one out in the cattle pasture right now and she will be back in with the horses in the horse pasture for dinner tonight. How? She jumps the fences. LOL Never has tried the field fencing that surrounds the ranch, just the non barbed we have to cross fence.

As for feed and pasture. Mine are out on the regular pastures and get to eat a good portion of feed every night. Also free choice hay. Our pastures have really been horrible because of lack of rain here, but they seem to fair just fine and are slick, fat and sassy. I have never had an issue with founder other than one old QH mare that decided the acorns were tasty one year. And I haven't ever had an issue with colic in our ponies period. Have in other horses due to different medical conditions, but not the ponies. And yes, all our ponies run with the big horses. Our littlest is 29 inches tall (the one pictured with my son) and she is a boss in her own right to the big guys.

Now the newest one that I pictured at the end of my first post that is in training with my daughter. He is rather under weight at 3 yrs old and needs extra feed and care. He gets Omolene 200 in the morning, a mixture of beet pulp soaked and senior feed in the evening and free choice hay and pasture all day and night. He is pastured with our show geldings. He also gets some of their portion of alfalfa in the evenings. He is still underweight after being on this for about 8 months. However, I don't believe he was fed as a youngster as good as he should have and is catching up. He is growing like crazy and that is a good thing.

My girlfriend has had minis in the past that needed to be dry lotted and fed out hay only to keep them sound. She also has a trio now that is pasture kept and fed grain that haven't had any issues. Don't know if it is genetic or just the way they were raised.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
Ninny said:
Glad i found this thread cause im wondering too! I like horses but i don't care much for riding. So a couple pet minis is what im thinking.

Heres a couple nobodys asked yet.

Fencing, what type and how high. If hot wire how many stands? I found electric netting used for goats and sheep would that work?
How easy do they founder and colic?
How different is their care for big horses?
1.you need non climb horse fence.barbed wire will work.but most people dont like it.
2.you have to feed them properly.an feed according to their size.
3.you have todo the same upkeep on them as a big horse.teeth floating worming shots an feet trimming.

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Would five foot tall three stand hot wire be enough. Id like to do pasture rotation. Would that netting work?

Faithfarm

Just born
Reaction score
Hi I am going to try to post a picture of my little filly Hope.
416_hope599.jpg

juliebee

Just born
Reaction score
Dang!!! If I could figure out how to put a picture up, I would show
the barn my husband is building. UGH!

Hey! I think it worked. In a tiny way. Fitting for a mini page:D:D

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

juliebee

Just born
Reaction score
Ah ha moment here! Thank-you very much. Dang that took me an hour to figure out. It sure would be nice to have techno smart kid here.

Latest posts