Mineral question...

GreenGoddess

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I will be getting two nigis at the end of this week.. I went to the feed store and got the feed, hay and mineral block.. I didn't notice until I got home that they gave me the wrong block because this one was for cattle, sheep AND goats.. It does not contain any selenium... I will call the feed store in the morning but I'm not sure if they will exchange it or not.. I will be going back next week anyway to get more chicken feed.. I know most likely it's not going to be a major deal since they will have this block less than a week but would it be detrimental to just wait until I pick up the next bag of chicken feed before getting the correct minerals? Will they be ok for a few days?

Goddess :bun

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No, wont be the end of the world if they use that salt block or you don't give them any until you get a chance to exchange it for something else.

I highly recommend you exchange it for loose goat minerals.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
You can give them the mineral block. It will be good for them and then you can give them loose minerals later. They will be just fine. Gosh, they are not going to suffer deep mineral deprivation over a couple weeks time.

GreenGoddess

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I greatly appreciate that, y'all... Everyone around me is telling me that I'm worse than a first time mom about to give birth! I'm freaking out over the tiniest thing and trying to make sure every detail is covered.. I know.. I know... BREATHE! LOL

Just out of curiosity, can I give them both? Or should I just put the block away for later if I need it?

Goddess :bun

Georgiamainers

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The goats will know how much they need so they'll only consume that much. I sprinkle a couple pinches of loose minerals on their grain just to make sure they get some.