Miniature Cattle Info. Please

babyboy1_mom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am doing research on Mini Cows. I am interested in the smaller breeds because the larger breeds are intimidating to my small self. I am only 5'1" tall.

I am lookiing for a breed that will produce good milk and that I will be able to eat/freezer the extra males.

I have read up on the Mini Jerseys and know that they produce very good milk, but they do grow slower.

The Dexters, from what I have read, are larger than the Mini Jerseys and are actually more of a medium sized cow. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

The Zebus are more of a Brangus looking breed and don't seem to be for milk.

What is the "Banded (?)" breed? The ones that are black in front and back, but with the white band around the middle. Are these for meat, milk or both?

I have read that I can keep 2-3 miniatures in the same space as 1 full sized cow, so that helps alot. I have the land to do so, but not the fencing yet.

Any and all info. on the miniature milk/beef breeds that you are able to provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dorothy

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
babyboy1_mom said:
What is the "Banded (?)" breed? The ones that are black in front and back, but with the white band around the middle. Are these for meat, milk or both?
Are you thinking of the Belted Galloway and/or Dutch Belted (or Lakenvelder)?

Some info found in the article, Stock Answeres for Small Farms by Andrea Curry in The Old Farmer's 2009 Almanac.

MINI MOOS
-Modern mni-bovines are descendants of 18th and 19th century stock, but with many breeds averaging under 600 pounds and standing less than 42 inches tall at the hip, these cows are bred to be smaller than their nacestors.
-For a mini-milker, figure on at least half an acre. She will need a small barn or shed for milking, feeding, and shelter.
-Expect to give her about 25 pounds of hay, 2 pounds of grain, and 6 gallons of water on average per day while milking.
-A mini-moo requires as much work as a standard-breed cow.

Awesome Oxen
-Dexter, Hereford, Longhorn, Jersey, Lowline (mini-Angus), and Zebu are the most popular breeds. A mini-Zebu weighs 200-500 pounds while mini-Dexters and -Herefords come in at about 1,000 pounds.
-A mature ox requires about an acre of pasture in the growing seasons and about 30 pounds of hay per day in winter, plus 3 pounds of mixed feed per working day. Provide a dry shelter for sleep and relief from the cold.
-A team can haul hay, water, firewood, manure, cleared brush, or gathered leaves.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
as said your thinking of the dutch belted cattle.for milk you can get a mini jersey if you can find 1.they do have mini hereford cattle.an they produce smaller cuts of beef.

captchris

Just born
Reaction score
i to am looking into mini cattle but more for meat than milk have you found any good web sites that can assest? also i dont have very much pasture and was woundering if highlands would be a better idea

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Highlands will need the about the same as a full size breed? We have some Highland owners here and hopefully they can help you with that.

Have you looked at the breeds in my above post under Awesome oxen? Those would be meat breeds.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
a highland cow requires an acre of land.but they are like longhorns.in that they can survive on brushy rough pastures.

babyboy1_mom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
FarmerKitty - I don't know if the ones that I saw were the Belted Gateway and/or Dutch Belted. I will go see if I can find the website that I saw them on yesterday. I don't mind the work load that is required. I am just intimidated by the larger breeds. I know that I have a calf that will eventually be a large boy, but I am hoping that I will overcome my fear if I have raised him from a calf. I also have my DH here to help, as little as that may be. He knows less about cows than I do....lol

I am wanting milk more and then have enough meat to put in my freezer whenever I have a little bull calf. I think that it would be nice to have the fresh milk on a daily basis and then have the fresh meat to eat. I do not plan on having more than 2 or 3 cows at one time. We are only a family of 3, so I think that the smaller breed would fit in our family better than the larger breeds.

I am very interested in the Jersey, but an not sure yet on which breed that I will get.

captchris - I have done more browsing right now. I did find some of the websited informative. One even offered to help me get started with a full sized cow and then breeding down. I want to start with the smaller breed, because the bigger is too scary to me..lol

I have not found any that are very close to me. I did find what seemed to be a pretty good deal, but they were in Oregon and that is wayyyyy toooo far for me, being here is south Louisiana...lol

More advice and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dorothy

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
With being intimidated by their size, I can understand the miniature version for a milk cow. The little guy you have now will grow into a big guy but, you won't have to get right in next to him and work with him as you will have to a milk cow. Please, let that help comfort you on his size.

I'm not familar with any of the minature breeds but, had run across the article and kept it in mind as I know many here are interested in minatures.

pokacow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I too wanted both milk & meat but not the size. I chose the Dexter as it is one of the older natural type breeds & like Highland, will browse & eat almost anything. They were bred for the small landowner as the "family" cow. They give around 2 gallons of milk a day, some more, some less @ around 4% butterfat. They finish out at around 60% after butchering, comparable to some of the larger breeds. Like anything to do with animals, there are no "exact" #'s, variables are genetics, feed, enviornment. There are lines that are more beefy & some are more milk. I love mine, she is adorable! Very gentle for not being handled much prior to getting her. She is a fast learner & coming around nicely to haltering & me running my hands all over her, picking up her feet yada yada. You can google the ADCA or PDCA websites for more info. Hope this helps a bit! J