Miniature Dual purposed - Breeding Dairy bull to Beef Cows

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
dmiravalle said:
country freedom said:
country freedom said:
Anyone bred Miniature Dairy bulls over Miniature Beef cows?
Any pics?
I am NOT interested in meat bull over dairy cows - I don't want/need all of that extra milk.

I AM interested in *dairy bull* OVER * beef cows !
Just my personal want. :bun

I also LOVE different colors, with and without white.
I was always taught the milking gene comes from the bulls, that is why you are supposed to check out a bulls dam for milk production?????
You have it partly right, but always remember that half the genetics come from the sire and the other half from the dam. Sires are mostly selected to improve the genetic ability for improved milk production in a herd (if that is what the producer wants), however, this means that the producer can't be wasting his/her time on cows with poor milking ability. In order to improve milk production in a herd, the producer must first cull out those cows that are poor milkers and retain those females that are good milkers, then go from there.

If a producer wants to improve more on carcass and meat quality characteristics, he finds a terminal sire that sires calves with the ability to be beefy at weaning and thus be able to be marketed. However, it's also the dam's responsibility to raise a heavy-weaned calf, and that means having good-quality and high-quantity milk to be able to wean a good soggy calf.