Missing lgd

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If the coyote threat has increased to the level that it's becoming a challenge to your LGDs, perhaps hiring in a trapper to eliminate some, or night hunters/varmint hunters to call them in and eliminate some might prove beneficial. Really sorry to hear that Sam hasn't returned. How is the other one healing that was involved when Sam went MIA?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The way our little farm is laid out there is a trail around us that deer, coyotes, fox and bobcats use a game trail that has probably been used for 100 or more years where they are never out in the open. I keep a rifle handy but I have only gotten a shot at a coyote once in 4 years. The dogs keep them out of the pastures with my sheep but I have also found two carcasses that the dogs killed (but not sure if it was fox or coyote).

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
Would leaving some music and lights on in the barn area keep them at a safe distance ????
We have a pole light, it’s closer to the house. Wonder what kind of music? Coyotes always sort of struck me as punk rockers so maybe light classical as a deterrent?

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the coyote threat has increased to the level that it's becoming a challenge to your LGDs, perhaps hiring in a trapper to eliminate some, or night hunters/varmint hunters to call them in and eliminate some might prove beneficial. Really sorry to hear that Sam hasn't returned. How is the other one healing that was involved when Sam went MIA?
He’s good. An early, thorough wound flush helped. He didn’t think much of that. Followed up w antibiotics.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm guess I'm just not much on pushing my problems off on someone else, such as my neighbors and they feel the same way. I sleep fine and get lots of it. Bullets are cheap and we've all always used plenty of them.

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
No better than I see I don’t have any business shooting distances. I have neighbors who enjoy hunting and if they rid the neighborhood of predators we non shooters compensate in meat, eggs etc.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My neighbor to the back has large acreage and makes a point of having a hunting fried join him on occasion for a coyote hunt. With about a dozen deer stands they can bait and call in nicely. Both are dead shots and our population is thinning nicely. Fox, also.

I have been fortunate to not have had more than the occasional fox, possum or skunk. The fox that was frequenting my fields in Spring was eliminated and skunks are my annoyance now. One of those was hit last night...RIP. Lucky to not have more issues.