Mixing breeds

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
CESpeed said:
I understand from the farmer I visited today that it would not be a good idea to have more than one breed of cow. I asked because I anticipate having a hard time choosing which breed I want and thought of saving myself the heartache choosing two breeds instead of one. But I guess another problem if I want purebred animals is having more than one type of bull rather than having more than one type of cow. (I'm really falling in love with the idea of Galloways and Red Polls.) :D

Is this a really bad idea?
That's a load of crock!! There's nothing wrong with having more than one breed of cow in your herd. The farmer that you got that info from probably is a newbie himself and is only relaying the information he got from the Red Poll producer he bought his cattle from to you. The only reason that it's "wrong" to have more than one breed in a herd is because of lack of uniformity. Supposedly you're supposed to get "more bang for your buck" when you have a herd of cattle with the same colour, and of course it's to do with purebred stuff too.

But forget the bloody bulls. I don't care how "sweet" or tame they are, they're a handful to have to care for. Stick with a herd of cows (nothing wrong with getting both Galloways and Red Poll), and go AI.
I whole heartedly agree! Mix, match, get what you want and go with A.I.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
WHAT'S THAT HEREFORD DOING IN OUR FIELD DAISY ??????

1463_farm_shots_021.jpg

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your input. I am so happy that rancher was wrong because I am really falling in love with the idea of having both Galloways and Red Polls. I haven't ruled out Shorthorns yet but I don't think I'm going to go with Dexters. I am loving doing my research. The ranch visits are the best.