moving and wanting to make sure I get an adequate place for Alpacas

WorldTreeRabbitry

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am hoping to buy a place soon and right now I have a little over an acre with a barn of rabbits and a bunch of featherheads. When I buy a place I won't be able to get a lot of land but hope to have an acre of land just for Alpacas and sheep...just a couple of each for the wool mostly.

Those of you who have experience on small homesteads, can you give me an idea of absolute needs? I realize without a big pasture I will need to supplement feed and possibly have a feed different for Alpacas and sheep. But are there any other concerns besides a shed and fencing?

Thanks!

- Kitty

World Tree Rabbitry
@ Sea Flame Homestead

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If they are just pets, then you could probably just feed them hay. They do need shelter to get out of the elements. Alpacas don't like to be in the rain and they need to be able to get out of the sun as well.

WorldTreeRabbitry

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
If they are just pets, then you could probably just feed them hay. They do need shelter to get out of the elements. Alpacas don't like to be in the rain and they need to be able to get out of the sun as well.
Yeah, they will be just pets, no plans to breed or anything. I figured a horse stall type shed would be good?.

Also, is it better to get two females or two males or a pair? Are males or females more friendly in general? I know with rabbits, males tend to be a bit cuddlier than females in general (although my two favorites and most cuddly are female...so I know it all depends on the individual).

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Couple gleded males would be nice. Often they are cheaper too. We have a barn my animals can go in and out of but my alpaca doesn't mind the rain or snow. Sometimes my goats are out when snowing too. None of them like the wind though.