Moving goats long distance.. help!

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I used to have a milking goat. One year I decided to go hunting with my Father, but didn't know what to do with my goat. So I loaded her up in the back of the pickup and took her with. We had already hauled the camper up, came back for horses and goat and supplies. It looked supper funny, we had her tied in the back surrounded by bales of hay. We got some looks now! But hey, we had fresh milk every day! Only problem was she didn't like to stay tied to the tree at camp when we left. She actually got loose and tracked us, I could hear her a long way off, calling for me... Her name was Chewy, and as soon as she found me she lay down under a tree and was just happy as she could be...

Good luck with the move, and take lots of pictures!!

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They are Boer/pygmy crosses as far as I can tell. All I know for sure is that they are great pets :) They will come up on the back porch and stare at us through the french doors until we go pet them.
This isn't a great pic, and it's a little old, they have now started getting their beards.
3112_madigan_and_the_goats_004.jpg

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
lovinglife said:
I used to have a milking goat. One year I decided to go hunting with my Father, but didn't know what to do with my goat. So I loaded her up in the back of the pickup and took her with. We had already hauled the camper up, came back for horses and goat and supplies. It looked supper funny, we had her tied in the back surrounded by bales of hay. We got some looks now! But hey, we had fresh milk every day! Only problem was she didn't like to stay tied to the tree at camp when we left. She actually got loose and tracked us, I could hear her a long way off, calling for me... Her name was Chewy, and as soon as she found me she lay down under a tree and was just happy as she could be...

Good luck with the move, and take lots of pictures!!
Goats make great pack animals and are very good to stay with the hiker/camper/hunter. They are fun to camp with. I take mine camping. Don't need to haul feed or water.

Oh my goodness, they are too cute for words.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They are cute! Sometimes it may not be ideal to move them so far but glad you are trying to figure out how to get them here. They are pets and obviously very much loved and are part of your family.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I moved mine from Washington State to Texas. 1600 miles. No problem. The key was to stop often, lots of water and make sure they were healthy when we left. They made the transition quite well. Besides pack goats do it all the time.

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Southern by choice said:
Coffee Cow- how is the move progressing, did you come up with a plan for the trip?
We just confirmed our move date, will be moving on Nov. 30. I am still unsure what we will wind up with. It depends on if I have to move the lawn mower on my truck or not. If I do, we will go with large dog crates, if not, I will make something out of cattle panels. I have 2 months to figure it out I suppose

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Make sure you check weather forecast..for rain/snow condition. I am guessing your two goats are not that big??? if you can fit them in a large dog crate... You can always rent a trailer one way for the lawn mower and few other things.... Good Luck and keep us posted.