multi-species pellet feed

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was going to add this in on the What Food topic, but decided to start a new one instead.

We are raising rabbits for meat. Right now we have 9 rabbits as breeding stock. I am possibly about to start buying chicken feed 2-3 tons at a time and storing in silos (that I don't own yet). The savings are worth it on the chicken feed. I was wondering if anyone feeds their rabbits a pellet that is not specifically designed for rabbits.

For example, do you feed chicken or goat feed to rabbits, knowing it isn't quite optimized? Even if I had to feed more of it, the saving could still be significant enough to make it worth while.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Chickens are fed a grain based food, and rabbits a foraged based food. I'd say those species are too different to be just "not quite optimized". :/

I don't like combo feeds, because there's always someone (some species) that will get the short end of the stick. Even if it's cheaper in the short run, I think it's better in the long run to get the feed that meets each species' needs.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I should add though, that sometimes my young goats get sheep feed, but they're supplemented w/ copper if needed.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Chickens are omnivore and there is animal protein is a lot of the chicken feeds. Rabbits are herbavores and shouldn't have animal "byproducts" in there feed.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've read that a lot of breeders use cow calf feed, the plain, no meds stuff. Though here I am finding the calf stuff at $15.
How much of a difference is there where you live? Chicken pellets here are $14 or $16, depending on store. Rabbit is $16 for cheap-o stuff or $20 for the best stuff.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
secuono said:
I've read that a lot of breeders use cow calf feed, the plain, no meds stuff. Though here I am finding the calf stuff at $15.
How much of a difference is there where you live? Chicken pellets here are $14 or $16, depending on store. Rabbit is $16 for cheap-o stuff or $20 for the best stuff.
I use calf mana for young, pregnant, or under weight rabbits. Its not a feed replacement, just a supplament. Rabbit feed is $16 a bag. Chicken feed is $14.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Rabbit feed is $18 a bag for me, but lately the Manna Pro rabbit feed has been on sale for $13. I might have to stock up before the sale ends. Cows are about the only thing we don't have. I guess it probably won't work out. Maybe I'll have to get enough rabbits to justify buying feed 2 tons at a time...

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have used a cow creep feed many times. I used it for a year before I got really serious about breeding rabbits. They do a lot better and look a lot healthier on the rabbit feed and given the option, my rabbits ALWAYS ate the rabbits pellets before the creep feed.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
Chickens are omnivore and there is animal protein is a lot of the chicken feeds. Rabbits are herbavores and shouldn't have animal "byproducts" in there feed.
It must vary, because I've never seen a chicken feed with animal protein since it's cheaper to make it vegetarian. In fact, many places selling chicken/eggs brag their animals are fed an "all vegetarian" diet, thinking it's better or something, when in fact they are omnivores. :rolleyes:

PinkFox

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
you could probably get away with a sheep/goat/cow feed being they are all herbivores, sheep and cows would be coser given they are grazers as opposed to browers like goats, but i think assuming your giving plenty of fresh foods to balance out what the feed could be missing an all purpose goat/sheep feed might work...
i woudlnt do chicken freed, its primarly corn and soy and rabbits dont do well on corn.