My hatch-Chicken chicks & new silkie cross chick

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Kute Kitten said:
I hope not too. How many of the old pullets are we going to replace?
I haven't decided how many of the hens we will replace or how many we are keeping this year.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
im sure alot depends on how meny lil pullet girls hatch from your eggs.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
OMG-Today is day 18. I went to candle and lock down. When I picked up the first egg I heard a chirp. Then I found 3 pipped and zipping!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
If it's been warming up there, even if your house temp isn't changing b/c of air conditioning, you might turn your therm. on the bator back a degree or half.
I always have to this time of year, or mine are pipping on day 18. Then I turn it back up around Sept. / Oct.

(I hatch year round, we hit the 1000th chick mark for 2009 this weekend...)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, as they are working on hatching I think it's too late to turn the therm back but, the temps in the bator have held good. DH told me that he knows of someone who had chicks hatching on day 16? YIKES!

They are still in the absorbing stage apparently as they haven't come out yet. The one is working some more on the shell this morning though. All I can do is hope for the best at this point. :fl

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
(I hatch year round, we hit the 1000th chick mark for 2009 this weekend...)
:ep That's a lot of chicks! Do you hatch for others? Or what do you do with that many chicks?

TxMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
1000 chicks :ep What do you do with them??? I assume sell them...

The chickens that we just got in January just started laying. Yesterday was a record day for us at 5 eggs :weee I've never hatched any eggs...I think when we decide we need more chicks, we'll let the chickens do all the work. ;) We have a Silkie and 2 BO's, so we should have some broodies.

Latest posts