My new goat needs a friend....what should I get?

mattmatts-momma

Just born
Reaction score
We took a goat in that belonged to a lady my husband works with about 1 month ago. I know that goats like to be with other goats, so I want to get a friend or two for him. The lady we goat him from said he was a Spanish Goat. Do you think that is what he is or is he something else?

He is a wethered buck and is about a year and a half old. I am wondering what I should get, should I get another wether or a doe or would it matter? I don't think I want an intact male (we already have enough of those around here...). They would really be just for pets, not meat or milk.

Do wethers usually just get along well with all other goats? As you can see from my questions, I am new to goats, but am learning.

He is temporarily staying in our backyard, we have a problem with the fenced area he should be in.

Here is a picture of him, to me he looks a little rough compared to the pictures of the goats you post (I am working on him though ;) ). He is very sweet and playful, doesn't seem sick or anything, just a little skinny.

100_2336.jpg

sillystunt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
wethers are sooo friendly! I would get him another weither or a doe! He is so cute! You probally could get any kind of goat. I have nigerian dwarfs cause of their size and i wanted a milk goat. Do get him a friend, they are herd animals and need friends!!

mattmatts-momma

Just born
Reaction score
I also like the Nigerian dwarf goats, size was a concern to me also. As soon as we get our fencing situation fixed, I am going to get him a friend.

Are bucks generally not as friendly?

pattyjean73

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If you have no intentions of milking... get a wether. They're great pets.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
My bucks are all very friendly - which literally STINKS when they are in rut. I would not recommend a buck as a pet only because they do smell and have some less than appealing habits ;)

I would get another wether or a doe - just remember that does go into estrus, so you'll be dealing with her up to monthly (depending on the breed) acting hormonal!

Naturally, I'm partial to Nigis :)

goatdude95

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have 4 pygmy goats (1 buck 1 doe 2 baby doe's) I love! them better then nigerians but I would reccommend getting 2 more wethers that are big breeds or the same breed I don't think its as fun for them having to squat down to play with each other especially head butting :D

Chivasherd

Just born
Reaction score
He is soooo cute! I would get him a wether or a doe. I agree with helmstead that if you get a doe, be prepared to hear her bellow from October to March. Since it looks like he has horns, I would try and get a breed that is going to be close to his size, so when they play, they'll be evenly matched.

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
mattmatts-momma said:
The lady we goat him from said he was a Spanish Goat.
The typo in this sentence makes me laugh....I wonder what she has on her mind.

mattmatts-momma

Just born
Reaction score
taraann81 said:
mattmatts-momma said:
The lady we goat him from said he was a Spanish Goat.
The typo in this sentence makes me laugh....I wonder what she has on her mind.
Sometimes I have too much coffee...my mind is thinking something other than what my fingers are typing. I've already switched to the half caffiene coffee. ;)

But I'm glad y'all figured out what I'm asking.

mattmatts-momma

Just born
Reaction score
Would you suggest to get a wether that also has horns? Would it be alright to get one without horns? I think he would be very happy to have a friend of his own kind.

Right now he pretty much just plays with the dogs and also tries to play with my children.

Latest posts