My New Meat Rabbit Journey

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, I had to sell out my whole meat rabbitry last year, lines I had been working on for years and had made vast improvements on, rabbits I was dang proud of and worked hard to get to where I was. It absolutely broke my heart but I had no job, no way to pay for feed anymore. I sold those rabbits to a family with a 6 year old little girl for dirt cheap, they wanted rabbits for her to start raising and she has done very well with them!

In April of this year my family gifted me with a 32 hole K-W Rabbitech system for me to restart my meat rabbitry. Here we are now 3 months later and I have 95% of the foundation rabbits that I needed to get started again. I am partly humbled and embarrassed having to start all over again with rabbits that aren't near as high quality as what I had BUT I take it as a challenge to improve all I can.

We have several chefs and private buyers waiting on rabbit meat so I can only keep the very best of the best to make improvements on growth rate and their build. I invested in several pricey pedigreed Silver Fox rabbits with my buck being the most expensive rabbit I have ever bought. They unfortunately are all too young to breed BUT as soon as the summer is over they will all be ready. I have two standard Rex, a few New Zealands and several crosses of these breeds.

So far this year I have spent a total of $500 on my live rabbit breeders and $120 on feed (6 bags since April)

I pushed my breeding into june and had litters born in July, so far already seeing more heat resistant rabbits! I have 15ish babies to get pictures of on here soon.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My two Silver Fox herd bucks
BLK unpedigreed, Winston…chosen because he reached 7lbs at 12 weeks old
IMG_0779.jpeg
IMG_0774.jpeg
IMG_0776.jpeg

Chocolate Pedigreed Silver Fox buck, Zach. Fast growout rate, 5lbs at 8 weeks…this guy doesn’t look huge but he is DENSE
IMG_0767.jpeg
IMG_0768.jpeg
IMG_0769.jpeg