My Rabbit Business has Failed - - - Why do you all Breed Rabbits?

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I sell a few and eat the rest. Part of my garden is planted in red clover for forage. It saves me a lot on feed. The rabbit manure is like gold on my gardens so nothing goes to waste. I just enjoy having them. Taking care of them is a pleasure, not a chore.

rockdoveranch

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for posting!

I think I was just in a bad place when I started this thread. Worrying about this 3rd drought in 3 years, and how it is affecting our animals and our land. Hurting for my friends who are going through difficult times right now. Worrying about money, my health and the world.

Yesterday when I was taking care of the rabbits I started thinking about how much I really enjoy them. I have had rabbits off and on since I was a kid.

We keep untreated rectangle pine blocks in their cages for them to play with, and right now I can look out the window and see them rearranging their frozen water bottles and bowls. They come up to their doors when I open them to see what I am up to. We have one doe in a dog run where she has a cage to go into when she wants. She has dug tunnels that I fill in every once in awhile. She greets me when I go into her kennel. I wet down one end of the kennel so she can stay cool laying on the ground. She touches noses with the sheep when they come through.

I used to rotate the rabbits in the kennel, but the buck became territorial and would lung at me when I would go to take him out so I could give another rabbit a turn.

I DO love my rabbits. I am lucky to have them. I am lucky to be on 32 acres and look out at the oak trees every day.

I guess I should not post when I am feeling sad and overwhelmed with life. Life IS good. Sometimes I just do not see it.

ChickenPotPie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Naw, post, post! :) Ebs and wanes are such a part of rabbits. It really helps me to get things off my chest or look for words of encouragement in the help I ask of others. I've seen it in so many of my "rabbit friends" - we all take turns wondering why in the heck are we doing this?

I'm glad things are looking good. It sounds like your sweet rabbits (and sheep!) will keep you going. :D :hugs

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
WE are looking into worm farming and selling the casting. Apparantly some rabbit farmers are making money off of the worms than they are the rabbits.

Has anyone else on here looked into it?

rockdoveranch

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks ChickenPotPie!

20kidsonhill, We have considered doing this ourselves, but haven't so far. Right now the poop goes into the garden.

I think there was a thread on this forum about doing this. Perhaps other folks will jump in. If not, you might start another thread.