Need a little help from my friends 🤪

LearningSheep

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for this looong answer. Hoping to cover all answers for you:
THIS is why I asked here ;) So THANK YOU for taking the time!!!

While "let's get this child showing" may be laudable, if the person you talk to (the receptionist?) does not know the County and State Rules, your child may have a problem entering and showing. Since she is not in a 4-H or FFA program where her project leader/teacher would know the rules and could advise you, it will be YOUR responsibility to get a copy of the rules (County AND State) and read them.
I agree with your points here - and prior to talking to her had looked at the state rules (albeit not closely, but I will!!!) - nothing stood out as being an issue for her.
Because your daughter is not a member of a recognized youth organization she will be showing her market lamb as an Independent Exhibitor. Independent Exhibitors have rules that are set out in the State Rules which may be different from FFA and 4-H Rules or local rules. The strictest rules (usually the State Rules) will govern. The required ownership of market animals depends on species. Lambs, goats, and hogs must be owned by the child 60 days prior to Fair date.
This was one of the questions I had when I called and left a message this morning w/ the fair office. As for ownership, we are good.
IMPORTANT: Worm the lamb now to make sure it does not have a parasite load that will slow down the rate of gain.
I did not consider this - so THANK YOU. I will get on it!

Training for the show ring:
All very good points! We did look up videos on youtube when she decided this - so the halter situation we already discussed, however her point was - I have to get him from his pen to the ring, this makes the safest/most reasonable option to train him. I had difficulty arguing this point of view as she was considering that the fairgrounds would be busy/hectic and she is concerned for overall safety.
Shearing:
Our Katahdin ram came to us with 2 years worth of wool so he was a HUGE lesson in shearing 🤣. I did suggest that she get him use to the sound of the clippers - but I also like your suggestion of an older/more experienced kiddo getting paid to help us out.
The livestock barn will be a place where your child will make lifelong friends and your whole family will have more fun than you can imagine!
Both of my kids have raced dirtbikes and grown large communities from that, however I 100% agree this is just another opportunity to expand and build friendships.

Pictures of her putting the scrapie tag on her boy... she employed her brother to hold him and dad was showing her were to place it (after consulting the internet).
IMG_5594.jpeg IMG_5598.jpeg