Need advice on coop and run from a converted stall

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_20170513_221643.jpg
IMG_20170513_221810.jpg
IMG_20170513_221810.jpg
I know these pics aren't really good but I hope you are able to get a feel for the current size of the coop.

Andy

Just born
Reaction score
You idea for the bucket loader shovel out is good.

I understand your barn configuration now and agree the hardware cloth is also needed.

Here in Colorado we can get deep snows and temps well below zero. In the winter I only keep them cooped up if the wind is whipping and we are below 20 for the high. I have to shovel the run and I did put a "roof" on one end so they always have a dry and or shady spot.

I know you get more snow then we usually do but thought the info may be useful. Oh and I do not heat my coop.

I thought if the spots for them to roost were suitable they'd keep each other warm enough. Keeping a spot with no wind/rain/snow is good and the barn will block most of the wind in scenario #1.

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's where you are right seeing how during the winter when they had to be locked in all day long and I went to gather the eggs later on that day it was warm in there .

21hens-incharge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The east will also give morning sun and afternoon shade in winter and summer. Summer being actually harder on them then winter. Heat is awful for some of my big gals.

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The chickens here do have a ton of different roosting places outside during the day but lots of time they're pecking and scratching at the ground to get the treats they like works and other creepy crawlies and bugs.

Andy

Just born
Reaction score
20170514_081205_resized.jpg
20170514_082614_resized.jpg

FIrst photo is the big stall on the east side I would convert. I measured it this morning it isn't as big as I thought. It is roughly 9.5 d x 9.5 w x 7 h.

Second photo is the area is outside the barn for the length of the barn where I would install a narrow, but log run. I would use deer netting on the top and I think cover the top in the winter with a tarp or roof of some sort.

I am not opposed to buying a coop and putting it on this side of the barn and making a run from there. My only concern originally was having a heat source in the winter in my barn all the time. But that doesn't seem like it will be needed.

I do want them to free range as much as possible during the day, but I still want them to have a safe covered, dry spot in all seasons.

21hens-incharge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh now that IS a nice spot!
I think you have a plan that should work well and keep them very happy.
The stall size is quite nice as it COULD house many more then you plan to keep.
Predators are a worry everywhere. Here in the middle of town we have many hawks, coons, fox, stray dogs, unattended cats even. The domesticated ones get a free cab ride to the pound if they make it past my fences.

I am sure you have the same and more. But it sounds like you are taking them into consideration.

aart

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You don't need to heat the birds, but it's really nice to heat their water so it doesn't freeze.
Then you can just top it off each day.

Unless you are going to put substantial run roof framing up, I wouldn't count on a tarp to hold the snow load.
I'd strongly suggest you go with a solid run roof.
You may actually want to cover part of the run walls in winter with clearish plastic as a wind and snow drift block.

I'd also suggest that you put a HC 'ceiling' on the coop inside the barn...can't see your rafters.
Check this out http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aarts-coop-page

Andy

Just born
Reaction score
I could certainly make a roof but that would change my plan to use metal t posts.

I did buy a heat pan for the waterer which should keep it a decent temp. It has an automatic thermometer on it.