Need an opinion what do you think?

Jared77

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Since the internets FULL of them I thought I'd go ahead and ask :p

Seriously though I'm thinking hard about adding a draft goat to our set up. We have no goats currently so this is all just thinking aloud. We do want to have a few NDs for our kids to do 4H with and milk. So because of that I had the thought to add a draft goat to the mix. It would be a wether and the main reason would be companionship to the other goats and draft purposes. First off is it ok to house a bigger breed of wether with a smaller breed of goat?

My plan was to have it haul a cart of firewood, manure, compost, feed, the kids in a wagon (with me along side with a lead line) or a sled in the winter. I've even seen garden cultivators that are designed with the draft goat in mind. I train retrievers and everything I've read on how to train a goat is almost identical to what I do with my dogs so its not a totally foreign concept to me.

So this got me thinking NDs are too small to really be effective drafts. So I started looking at other breeds. I see a lot of dairy wethers pulling and I assume thats because they are cheap and people are looking to unload them. I know lots of oxen are dairy breeds for the same reason I'm guessing. So you can see where this is going....what about a boer wether boer for draft?

So I guess is it worth it to use a boer wether as a draft vs a dairy wether other than cost? I'm just bouncing this idea off anybody who's willing to reply this is in the future but its something I thought of and thought "why not ask?"

Thanks folks I appreciate your thoughts on this

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I don't see why it would matter if you had a Boer goat or dairy goat. I think size would probably be the biggest thing. Dairy breed males do get big but Boer goats get even bigger. They are more muscular which would help in pulling but I don't know if temperament would make them harder to train or anything. Any person who owns Boer goats would be better able to answer your question.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just a thought...if you worry about the size difference, why not get a standard size dairy doe like a nubian or alpine? Milking is easier too..taller and bigger.

HankTheTank

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A lot of people use boer mixed with a dairy breed, usually nubian, as cart goats because then you get the muscle of the boer along with the characteristics of the other breed, which seems to make for a very good cart goat. Any breed would work really...I've been wanting to get a cart goat myself, but can't right now. Good luck!

And as for housing the different sizes together, I don't see why they couldn't as long as the big one wasn't aggressive towards them. If you get it at a young enough age and it grows up with the ND's it would be ok. Maybe make sure the big one doesn't have horns too, so he doesn't accidentally stab a little one.

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
I don't see why it would matter if you had a Boer goat or dairy goat. I think size would probably be the biggest thing. Dairy breed males do get big but Boer goats get even bigger. They are more muscular which would help in pulling but I don't know if temperament would make them harder to train or anything. Any person who owns Boer goats would be better able to answer your question.
Well I don't know ANYTHING about draft goats, but I am pretty sure that there is nothing at all in the temperament or personality of a Boer that would make it unsuitable for ANY activity in which they interact with humans. I have Boers and Saanens, and while the Saanens are sweet, they can also be a lot more timid. My Boers are very outgoing and love to interact with people. They are also beefy and strong. If I was going to choose one of my goats for such a pursuit, it would definitely be one of the Boers.